London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
14/05/2013 at 12:13

Hi im new here and pretty new to gardening.  We have just got an allotment and I thought I would start the seedlings off at home in pots/trays.  

We left them out in the garden, but Im wondering if it was too cold this last week as the only ones that have come up are the lettece.  

The seedlings that have not come up are tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, onions and a few others!!!

I have now moved them into the kitchen, after being out side for just over a week, and was wondering if there was any hope left for them, or whether I should scrap it all and start again?  

I feel a bit lost!  If anyone can help that would be great 

Lisa 

14/05/2013 at 12:34

Lisa, seeds need warmth and with some that also means cover either a plastic lid or a plastic bag over them, the compost should be moist not wet.
It is late for some of those seeds although you could still get a result. take a walk through a Garden Centre they would be selling off plants on the cheap rack now if they have any left, just start earlier next year with some heat and shelter.
I have a greenhouse and a sand bed with warming cables to start things off although this year it all started much later than normal, I saw this morning my Tomato's have flowers on them so although a month late you can see they are well on from seed.
This is a friendly board so do not be afraid to ask we are here to help as to the seeds put them somewhere warm and keep them just damp, I water seed trays from the bottom up, stand the tray in water for a few minutes, then see what comes, quite often they can take time to germinate. Who knows if we have a warm Autumn you could be eating your harvest when all ours have long gone.

Frank.

14/05/2013 at 12:42

No a lot of good news

You have started sowing far too late-and even so outside the things you sowed will never germinate -too cold-well tomatoes, peppers and courgettes anyway

To get anything for this year you will need to buy in plants now -the only solution

Honestly I think you are trying to do run before you can walk by taking on an allotment with little knowledge of how or what to grow.

An allotment is a big commitment -have you the time?

I also feel you need to do a bit of homework or ask lots of advice

At this stage you are are going to be disheartened but you are going about in this in the wrong way

Sorry to be brutal-but a sense of reality is needed

Have you never gardened before?

14/05/2013 at 12:44

Thanks for your reply Frank.  I will see what happens, and maybe a quick trip to homebase garden section.... !!!  I knew I left it late. 

I think maybe I should research some other plants that are ok to start growing now.

Thanks

Lisa

14/05/2013 at 12:50

Hi Lazy Gardener!

Thanks for the sense of reality, but I will decline.  I don't think I should be unable to accept my allotment just because I am a beginner.  I have grown successful courgettes, tomatoes and lettuces a few years back, so I am not a completely clueless wonder, I just couldnt remember how long they took to germinate.  And saying that I did start earlier and kept them indoors. 

I have a lot of books, a lot of determination and a lovely strong husband who is more than willing to dig.  So I don't think we are being silly by attempting to start growing fresh food for us and our three small children to benefit from.

Everyone at the allotment has been very helpful and friendly and praised us on clearing nearly a quarter of the patch from overgrown disaster to completely lovely brown earth. 

I think the only thing that needs brutal treatment is my weeds at the allotment...

14/05/2013 at 12:58

Ok-had grown in the past,had all those books, a seed packet with the information but still stuck them outside to germinate

Not saying you should not have an allotment-but it is clear your knowlege is limited-so running before you can walk

But good luck anyway

14/05/2013 at 13:05

Thanks, but I came on here for advice, not a lecture from someone who has no clue what else I am dealing with while i 'still stuck them outside to germinate', as you so politely put it. 

I don't think it is necessary to be rude to people who ask for advice.  If it bothers you that I have limited knowledge then use your time to 'help' someone else.

14/05/2013 at 13:06

by the way, all my kids ran before they could walk - best way to be in my book

14/05/2013 at 13:20

Lisa good for you (I feel as though you should get some encouragement now) 

What does it really matter if things don't go to plan this year anyway? Unless you were depending on the food, it's supposed to be fun! I'm very much in the 'don't take it too seriously and come on here to ask when confused' camp. You're doing a good thing showing your kids where food comes from.

I'm going to start some butternut squash and carrots soon which I think should be fine and surely you can do spinach or other salads. All of those are pretty fast growing I think so good for kids??

I'm sure you can buy some tomato plants from somewhere - if you're in Oxford you can have some of mine! My lunatic fiance has grown 60 big plants, many of which are starting to flower now, and we only need 12!

14/05/2013 at 13:23

Oh, someone on here suggested I start off some nasturtiums when I was asking about flower seeds to sow outdoors now. I think they climb and are, apparently, edible!

14/05/2013 at 13:32

Hi Paperflowers, thanks so much for the encouragement!  my lettuce is growing so that's one good thing.  And I did read that you can sow carrots every 2 weeks now for a continuous supply through summer?

Perhaps all is not lost for me!!

Not near oxford, otherwise I would gladly have accepted, thanks anyway!

Thanks for tip about nasturtiums!!

14/05/2013 at 13:43

Just seen this on the Jobs to do now page of this website: Sow seeds of the following crops outside this week: radish, spring onions, coriander, parsley and chives

So I am not too late!!!  hooray!

14/05/2013 at 14:46

Nah, I bet there's loads of veg you can sow now. We did spring onions, parsley, chives and coriander and they're only just coming through so I'm sure yours would catch up.

Yes I think that's tight about carrots, you can sow every couple of weeks right through July - that's what it says on my seed packet anyway. They are seeds for children to sow with very clear instructions, which I'm sure lazygardener would approve of for novices like us...

14/05/2013 at 14:52

ha ha yes I think she would approve.. then again maybe not, we don't want to run before we can walk you know!!  hee hee

14/05/2013 at 16:43

Hi Lisa, sorry you were lectured, it was unnecessary, but maybe LG just got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Another thing you can plant now, i.e. as soon as the night temperature is regularly above 10°C, are french beans and runner beans. They can be frozen too, so could keep you going over the winter.

Have fun trying everything out and don't hesitate to ask again if need be, most of us are quite friendly.

14/05/2013 at 17:18

Lisa,dont be put off by Lazy Gardeners reply,thats the first time on here that I have seen such a negative reply to someone asking for help. I am sure that by this time next year you will reap the benefits of this forum and be very successful with your allotment. Good luck!

14/05/2013 at 18:16

Hi Lisa , Ive skipped some of the help and advice you have been given ,read the first couple will read the rest later . 

NOW FOR A START! DO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY EAT DWARF BEANS, RUNNER BEANS  , PEAS ? YOUR NOT TOO LATE F

If so this is how I do it

PEAS - DONT SOAK . Use 3 inch pots put 3 peas in each , stand in a tray ,  water with a fine rose, slot the whole lot in a clear polythene bag  or a propergator lid .Put where there is plenty of light and some warmth . These should be through in a couple of weeks . Do the same with beans . As they grow I have to put a propergator lid on as I am plaged with mice . I am surrounded by fields . I put mouse traps amongst them while they are in the green house. The first time I put peas straight into the soil I found next morning little holes all along the row .With the silly unpredictable weather we have I am only just doing my beans' 

BEANS   :I do the beans the same way so that I can put 3 around the canes for a wigwam . or in a line they are easily seperated when they are 4 ins high ' . Last year I had several attempts at beans - I watered them too much  I think . But anyway I kept putting them in pots then planting them out .Admitted they were late but I had them until the frosts when everyone else's had long gone !

Lettuce : you can sow lettuce more or less anytime but  only do a bit at a time. start this off inside until weather gets better - when we are into warmer weather put it straight into the ground  into the ground ' I do lettuce / radish outside i stagger the sowings '

COURGETTES : I have only just done mine , as follows  : two into a 3 inch pot on their side just push them in and only just cover  do these insde  and put i a bag or n propergator - Propergators are good and a big help but keep an eye on them . Keep coming on here youl get a lot of friendly advice. let ius know how you get on . 

14/05/2013 at 19:16

FORGOT TO SAY LISA , IT DOES DEPEND WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE. I ONCE QUEERIED THE " TO DO THINGS NOW ! " IN A GARDENING MAG , WE HAD VERY LATE FROSTS IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE AND IN THE MAG IT HAD SAID ABOUT PLANTING OUT SOME VEG OR OTHER  I WROTE IN TO COMMENT ABOUT WHAT THEY HAD PRINTED . I WAS TOLD TO ALWAYS GO BY THE WEATHER IN YOUR AREA AS IT CAN VARY SO MUCH UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY. SOMETIMES I AM A MONTH BEHIND WHAT OTHERS ARE DOING BUT THEY CATCH UP !   YOU WILL SOON BE ABLE TO PUT YOUR CORGETTES STRAIGHT INTO THE GROUND IF WE ARE GOING TO GET A BIT WARMER WEATHER --- just a bit of wishfull thinking !

15/05/2013 at 07:04
SwissSue wrote (see)

Hi Lisa, sorry you were lectured, it was unnecessary, but maybe LG just got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Another thing you can plant now, i.e. as soon as the night temperature is regularly above 10°C, are french beans and runner beans. They can be frozen too, so could keep you going over the winter.

Have fun trying everything out and don't hesitate to ask again if need be, most of us are quite friendly.

Hi Sue

Thanks for the reply! I was looking yesterday and there is still absolutely loads that I can grow.  Like I was going to give up anyway!! lol... no chance.  Always wanted to grow my own and this is the start of an exciting journey for me. 

15/05/2013 at 07:05
nodlisab wrote (see)

Lisa,dont be put off by Lazy Gardeners reply,thats the first time on here that I have seen such a negative reply to someone asking for help. I am sure that by this time next year you will reap the benefits of this forum and be very successful with your allotment. Good luck!

Hi nodlisab

thanks for the good luck! 

1 to 20 of 22 messages