London (change)
Today 17°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 10°C
9 messages
20/06/2013 at 10:31

We have a small garden that was put down to mostly hard standing by previous occupants so we grow flowers in hanging baskets & containers. Alas space is at a premium through out the year. We have received several free bulbs of Lillys & Tulips when ordering items via mail order to which the weather was not kind.

Is it correct that we should just disguard these bulbs because they will never produce the show expected in their first years again

Seems a shame

20/06/2013 at 10:52

Our lilies have been producing good shows for the last 18 years, though they are planted in the garden rather than in tubs. Ditto some tulips.

It all depends on how you look after them, well fed, dead headed etc they should flower just as well every year.

20/06/2013 at 12:36

We had hoped for simular results year on year until we viewed Monty Don the other weekend saying throw away because results never the same. I think if I could leave them in soil & forget about them but seeing that I will have to remove/dry/store/replant

20/06/2013 at 14:03

Tulips are generally highly bred and do take a few years to recover their display strength but, if planted deep (9") in the right soil can go on for years.

Lillies do well for years anyway but do need feeding, whether in the ground or in tubs, and dead heading and checking for the demon lily beetle.

20/06/2013 at 15:42

I wintered the Lillies in their pots last winter keeping them in a sheltered part of the garden. I had great hopes for them this season when they appeared to be growing well but none of them flowered before the leaves started to turn brown and die off. I had been feeding them with Tomato feed since early spring weekly

It's all down to space we do not have enough room to keep baskets/containers hanging around & there's the added risk of rodents taking a shine to the bulbs like they did with the previous years crocuses which failed to grow this spring

I had thought about taking the bulbs out and planting on several verges/roadsides & leaving them to fend for themselves

20/06/2013 at 17:22

I grow upward of a hundred lilies in my garden, in pots and in the ground.  Some of these are over 20 years old and flower just as well now as they have ever done.

Monty did say he throws out some types of  tulip bulbs as they rarely come back well, I wonder if this has been misheard or misinterpreted?  Lilies are expensive, and certainly would not be replaced each year.

I do not water mine with fertiliser all spring, they get  a dose of chicken manure, the pelleted organic kind, annually, around April, and that's about it.  I do wonder if these are being over watered, they really don't mind a dry time.  Some of ours have frozen solid over the years, and have merrily gone on flowering afterwards - they are tough things and don't need coddling.  They certainly never get lifted, just growing through the massed planting that is around them. Their only enemies are the dreaded lily beetle, upon which we wage persistent war, and lily virus.  This gives streaky leaves, and distorted buds, only cure is burning the bulbs and the stems.

our lilies are now busily making buds profusely, and will be a mass of flowers in a few weeks time - there are some for sale in flower  now but they have been brought on in glasshouses - the outdoor ones will have to wait awhile. They are never taken out of their pots, the pots are tucked near the hedge or beside the greenhouse or house wall in the winter and that's about all the protection they ever get. 

22/06/2013 at 18:02

Like Dog bowl, my garden is mostly hard standing and I have been succssful with bulbs they are planted at least 8" deep the only failure I have is that my crown imperial fritillaria  they just grow blind.Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

22/06/2013 at 18:11

Bridget2, Are they in sun/shade? Do you feed them at all?

22/06/2013 at 18:13

They are in sun and fed with long release beads

email image
9 messages