London (change)
Mon 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
8 messages
08/06/2014 at 09:09

My senetti are wilting but have tries shade/sun , less water , more water. They look ever so sad! Help!

08/06/2014 at 09:22

Morning Stifyn, 

Semetti are a bit odd, aren't they?

I have experienced with them a little over a couple of years.   They are not too hardy yet flower best in early spring so we need to be careful about frost.  They do not like hot weather or the summer season...I think.  

You can cut them back now and they will flower again but on much shorter and less impressive stems but I thought they weren't worth growing then. 

Watering?  Offen they are in pots too small for their size so I always pot on and water well.....in spring.....but I don't think the issue is watering now.  Their time is up. 

I think it's better to regard them as spring or early summer bedding and then dig them up.  Replace with something that flowers in the summer 

08/06/2014 at 09:30

Oh no Verdun! I was looking forward to these reflowering and seeing them next spring as well. 

08/06/2014 at 09:46

08/06/2014 at 11:13

Stifyn and Verdun:  I had been going to ask the same about my Senetti which are also going off the boil.

I was confused by what I felt were mixed messages on a couple of internet sites.  One said that Senetti loved full sun.  The other said they only thrived in cool sheltered conditions.  So like you Stifyn, I had them in a cool corner which is part-shade and then I moved them into full sun.  But I suspect mine are past their time.  I also read that they love their soil (if in pots) to be kept moist at all times and to shear the flowers off and then look for more blooms in about a month - but as Verdun says expect them to bloom with less 'oomph'.  I'd been trying to think of ways to somehow keep the plants until next Spring...but it sounds as if everyone gets rid of them each season.

08/06/2014 at 14:14

Thanks guys, at least I'm not the only one eh? x

09/06/2014 at 08:40
We had these in window boxes last year, I had hoped they would last all season but they were fabulous in the spring but then simply flopped and never re flowered. I took them out of the boxes and tried tlc in new compost etc but no success so I'm afraid they went onto the compost heap.
09/06/2014 at 09:00

ta chrissie

email image
8 messages