London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
7 messages
21/06/2012 at 13:58

If I cut the plant hard back will it over winter and come back next spring?

21/06/2012 at 14:20

If you cut it back now you may get a second flush of flowers but it will not over-winter

22/06/2012 at 13:07

I bought one of these from a small independent nursery, and was advised to cut it back for a second flush of flowers - but they also suggested i bring it indoors or keep it in a greenhouse over the winter as they thought it might come back next year!

I can only wait and see what happens - nothing ventured nothing gained!

22/06/2012 at 13:30

Thanks for your replies I will try cutting the plants back and take my chance

22/06/2012 at 23:57

I took cuttings of mine last year and managed to keep two plants.  They are doing really well.   Watch out for mildew though, I lost 4 plants to that.

28/04/2013 at 11:03

Hey AuntieMand...Can you describe how you managed to take cuttings?

01/05/2013 at 20:50

Sorry I've not repied before.

Hi Stoorty

At the end of the season I simply took cuttings of shoots with no flowers / buds.   Deleafed and shortened.   Stuck them round the edge of a pot and popped them in my utility room.   Last year i managed to take two into the summer, this year 4 have survived over winter.   The ones I lost were either because they just didn't root or got some mildew.   They were actually in the same pots as my geranium and lobelia cuttings.   I try all sorts (I have about 30 ox eye daisies that I didnt thing would take, but they have), some work some don't but you never know til you give it a go.

Sorry my reply wasn't cleverer!

email image
7 messages