London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
5 messages
23/10/2013 at 16:08

Hello there,

Firstly, thank you to people on here for helping me out with a few issues so far - I am new to this site and to gardening so have a lot of questions!  OK, so this isn't really a garden thing, more a DIY issue, but hopefully someone may have some experience of sheds to offer advice.

We had a leak in our shed roof, which has now been rectified with new felt - job done.

But, now I have noticed after all this rain, that the bottom back left hand side of the shed is damp and wet to the touch.  I can't think where the leak is coming in from (the fence along the back is very close as we had it nailed to the back of the shed to secure the panel - not sure if that is the problem).  I am very concerned as is it is great shed and I want to preserve it, so afraid the wood may rot.

Any thoughts gratefully received please.........

23/10/2013 at 16:32

The fence is the problem. Sheds need good air circulation around them to help the wood dry out.

Youre trapping moisture between the fence and the shed, and it hasnt got anywhere to go except into the wood.

23/10/2013 at 17:33

Have you got good clearance at the base of the shed too RR, or is it sitting where water can travel up from the ground-ie planting or climbers next to it? I moved my shed recently to sit in front of a new fence I put in, but there's a decent gap between them and it's well off the ground on a concrete/slab base.

Also, it's amazing how much water can find it's way in through the tiniest of holes! 

23/10/2013 at 17:41

To add to FG's post, the smaller the hole the easier it is for water to get in and the further in it will come.  Capillary action - the same thing that happens when you put a dry sponge onto a pool of water - will draw water up from the ground and in from objects touching the shed.  Trees move water around by using capillary action and osmosis so the wood for your shed has been designed by many, many years of evolution to do this.  By putting the wood against something damp you are helping it along.  

23/10/2013 at 18:11
I used to be a shed manufacturer and agree with Dave. the shed is too close to the fence.both require good ventilation other wise you decay quickly.Also how do you think that you can treat the shed and the fence if you cannot get between. When we erected shed in the past we would always leave a good 18" gap minimum and to make sure that the shed was placed on pre treated runners before erecting the shed.
Hope this may help.
Diddy
email image
5 messages