London (change)
Today 14°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 5°C
7 messages
18/04/2012 at 14:46

Is sheep manure as good as cow or horse manure?  I ask because I can get an abundance of it.  Also instead of using old crocks for potting can I place sheep fleece in the bottom of pots?  I am digging up a huge plot ready to build up a beautiful garden (I wish)!!!

18/04/2012 at 15:27

Sheep manure's usually stronger than cow or horse. Bear that it in mind and it's perfectly good. If the sheep has grazed, there can be more weed seeds, I've found.

I was reading something somewhere - or maybe I even heard it on the radio - to the effect that you don't need crocks with modern potting mixes. I use them anyway. I'd prefer them to fleece only because I think they would drain better.

18/04/2012 at 15:32

Is sheep manure as good as cow or horse manure?  I ask because I can get an abundance of it.

Sheep manure is top stuff. Higher in potash than cow or horse and makes v.good liquid fertiliser too.

18/04/2012 at 15:54

Many thanks for the info.  I'm a novice gardener and I get a little confused about how to achieve the soil Monty gets in his garden.

04/04/2015 at 08:34

I have been given some 3 to 4 year old sheep manure for the garden. It contains a large number of reddish brown worms, about one to two inches long &every thin. 

is this ok to spread on the garden?

04/04/2015 at 08:41

It will be more than OK June. They are young brandling worms by the sound of it. You could collect some of them to start your own wormery. Wonderful things to have in the manure. They will help mix it in, but in time they won't like the conditions in the soil and will be replaced by the normal earthworms. 

04/04/2015 at 08:49

Thank you for your help

email image
7 messages