Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Shield Bugs

I Know these are Shield Bugs but can anyone identify which ones.  I thought they might be Hawthorn Shield bugs as they are near a Hawthorn hedge but the pictures I have seem show them being more green in colour

Should I be worried that they appear to having a party on my rhubarb and strawberry plants?

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

I have had dozens and dozens of green Shield Bugs on my runner beans this year as apposed to just a few last year. They obviously like this years weather. They congregate as the ones in your picture are doing and do not seem to do any harm, just jumping off down to the ground when disturbed. Long way back up for a little 'un!!  

• They don't seem to be causing any problems I was just interested as there are so many.  Thanks for your response

• I am sure that they are not Hawthorn shieldbugs and believe that they are most likely to be Coreus marginatus, the Dock Bug. I don't think they will do a lot of harm.

• Thank you, they are Dock Leaf Shield bugs

• We love Shield Bugs - they are so handsome image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• spotted this incredible shield bug in Hastings East sussex this morning does anyone know the name??
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Yes - he's called Steve  ;)

Apologies Kayleigh - I'm in a silly mood.  :D
    He's very nice. If nothing else, I've bumped the thread up so someone might  be able to help  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • spotted this incredible shield bug in Hastings East sussex this morning does anyone know the name??
    A belated response to this question ... prompted by finding one of these in my garden in Norfolk yesterday and consequent research online.

I believe it is a Western Conifer Seed Bug, apparently an invasive species arriving from North America in 2007 and a threat to conifer plantations. (See this link to a newspaper article in 2018: https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/watch-out-large-bug-could-2252076).
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065
    Well, he/she is very smart and, except for a Nordman at Xmas, I don't like conifers much so he/she is welcome.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617
    The usual place I get my Nordmann  is not doing them this year, the farmer and his wife and dog are shielding. So I went to the garden centre. I asked if it was English. Dunno was  the answer. I think some from Holland, some from UK. Which was which? dunno.