Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

shredded pansies

Hi all, I think I know the answer to this but my pansies are looking all torn and shredded, this has happened over the past week they are all in flower and looking healthy but it looks like they are being attacked by something. Any ideas..?

they are surrounded by a healthy scattering of egg shells and the leaves are in tact

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Could be slugs,could even be birds-what do you think it is?

• Wind damage?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

I've had the same problem and believe the culprits to be blue-tits . They use the basket as a half-way house to the birdtable and it's only happened in that particular basket. I suppose it's a small sacrifice to watch the antics out of them. image

• DATDAT Posts: 7

chech the soil to look for woodlice found them eating my pansies ,

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Shredded would make me think Slugs...slugs are the main enemy of Pansies from my experience. Birds might be going after greenfly or other insects I suppose. Not seen Caterpillers on Pansies but Moth caterpillers are still a pain at the moment so are a possiblity but they tend to eat and not shred!

• Caught them, its wren's