Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sick roses

Can anyone tell me what is a wrong with my roses and what I can do about it?   The leaves on all my roses are yellow with dark green veins. Almost all my roses are affected, both old and new.

I have been spraying with Rose Clear since early in the year but it is not helping. I have had other diseases in the past, black spot etc but this year only this.

Can Anyone help

• addictaddict Posts: 659

Any chance of pictures Mandeli? Sounds like a deficiency in the soil. What soil do you have...chalky, sandy, clay? Does not sound like any kind of disease. Try digging in some nice composted manure around them and see what happens.

• SunnydayzSunnydayz Posts: 50

hi there, potassium deficiency can sometimes cause such problems, but rose viruses can also cause yellowing. A picture would be good, if possible and are the roses in the same vicintiy or in different places around your garden?

• MandeliMandeli Posts: 14

Sorry for delay but been away...Herewith photo. Am on London clay but have tried to enrich soil with nursery bought compost.  Some of the roses must be 20 years old but perform well, no shortage of flowers this year, but leaves certainly don't look good.  Only difference this year was very hard pruning. Usually to frightened to take too much off.  Thanks for any suggestions.

http://webkit-fake-url://BFF65E6A-941E-4838-BE21-1AB95DEBDFAF/imagejpeg

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Couldn't get your photo. Do the leaves look like this? Photo down below.

If so then it is nitrogen deficiency. Your roses need feeding badly. Feed in Spring when the leaves are coming out and again in summer after flowering, but now in your case. Use a high nitrogen rose fertiliser. Also some soil, particularly alkali and limestone, stop roses absorbing iron so you need to give them sequestrene or sequestered iron, which you can buy in garden centres. 

http://cdn-media.gardenguides.com/media/images/attachments/000000/35/05/000000/72/85/MTc4NTcyMjA1MzU6.jpg

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.

Thanks for help, I will be adding nutrients as suggested.

I found these red ? Growing through wild rose leaves  when walking in the country.  I have never seen it before, scan anyone identify it for me please.

Its a gall caused by a tiny wasp. Quite pretty aren't they image

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cangard/msg0815230227119.html

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

Just looked at that fake url address in the first post

I found this post which explains things.

"This appears to be webkit's way of pasting local images into rich editors. For example, open an image from your computer in OS X's Preview application. Select all, copy, and paste into the rich editor in XF (using Safari or some other webkit browser).

Clearly this is user fail. You obviously cannot paste a local image into a forum post without uploading it as an attachment, or uploading it to some other online location. Webkit just has a strange way of handling this which allows the user to submit the post thinking that it will work. The fix is to educate your users."

Bit brutally phrased but you cannot paste images directly into a post and have it show upon the net. Webkit seems to have an odd way of doing things, its very confusing.

When you think about it anything accessable on the internet has to be publically accessable and most peoples computers are not accessable from the internet, the NSA might disagree but not publically...   

There is no standardised universal method for uploading images to the web so each website will be different. 

Blackest....what are you on about?image 

• AndromidaAndromida Posts: 3

I have a problem with what I believe is black spot in my organic garden.  My beautiful Davd Austin climbing rose, two seasons old now, is badly affected and I will have to cut out some of the stems.  The leaves and stems are dying off daily and some stems are turning black.  I have recently watered in sequestrian and also gave it a good feed in the spring.  Any help please?  I would prefer to not use chemicals, but will have to if there is no other solution.