Start a new thread
Jean Genie

I've had loads of help and advice since joining this forum so thought I would try and give a little back. I expect the more experienced gardeners will already know about this but here's a few tips . You can revive a sickly plant with the help of a soluble asprin - this really does work - it needs to be dissolved in a pint of water and will do wonders . Asprin is salicylic acid - exactly the same as the growth hormone in plants and derived from willow bark.

Also for leaf colouration and magnesium deficiency a dose of salts ! Epsom that is - one tablespoon per gallon of water. I use this on my pelargoniums early spring to give them a boost but you can use this method on any plants with yellowing leaves . I have rescued many a plant using these methods - hope this may be of interest.

Hi jean riley - like you I've found forumites to be an extremely helpful, friendly and knowledgeable bunch and I really enjoy reading the discussions and contributing here and there !! 

I think it's always of use to have information such as that which you have provided as most of us will have the aspirin and epsom salts in the kitchen/house somewhere and with ailing plants etc it's worth trying these methods to revive/boost any plant. I take a 75mg aspirin each day as I believe it will revive me at some time !!! 

I have a miniature rose 'division' in the garden which is not doing so well this year so will be getting some soluble aspirin next time I'm shopping.

Thanks again.

weejenny

Well you learn something every day Ive never heard of aspirin for plants thanks for that I have lots of house plants, I started re potting them yesterday an odd one could do with a tonic

Bookertoo

Aspirin also works to perk up cut flowers in their vase for an extra few days - trim the stems, use clean water and drop half or a whole soluble aspirin in - dpendent upon the size of the vase.

Yes, it is good for aiing plants outdoors and in the greenhouse too though I tend to regard it as a last ditch effort when pruning, correcting water and feeding have failed. 

Talking about aspirin - my mother always reckoned aspirin saved her budgie's life.  He got hooked on a metal coat hanger - it went through his throat and came out above his tongue...gruesome, I know..........she nursed him with a quarter of a soluble aspirin and a couple of drops of whiskey in his drinking water every day and he lived for many years afterwards!

Sorry, not about plants I know but interesting.............

Advertisement

Bookertoo

Aspirin as an incredible drug, and a very powerful one.  Were it discovered today, there is no way it would be for general sale, but would be a prescribed medicine only. Some of the things it can do, ands ome of the things it is used for in medicine are amazing, and surprising - over the years in medicine the places  I have seen the apparently humble aspirin turn up are very very numerous. 

Also not plants, but as a side shoot should be OK?

Jean Genie

It didn't work for me today. So much to do in the garden and nothing but rain , rain and more rain ! Gave myself a headache stressing about what needs doing - halfway through planting a new border , more climbers need tying in , cant get out to do anything as it's really heavy here in Lancashire and worst of all rain = slugs ! I hate the blighters ! Sorry for rambling on it's really getting me down !

Gardening Grandma

Wales in much the same - wet, wet, wet. This forum is a nice substitute for actual gardening in this weather. Fascinating information about aspirin - I'm going to research its uses further, while it rains. One thing about wet weather, though - the slugs go for a stroll and are easy to exterminate!

Atilla

Worth a try. I have a few plants looking sad, think it is too much rain though!

Jean Genie

Meant to mention if you do this, pour the solution directly on to the roots - don't use as a foliar feed . Nearly everything in my garden looks sad at the mo because of the rain except funnily enough, the grass, which is a marvellous shade of green ! However - got plenty of rainwater for my carnivorous plants . Enough to keep them happy for several years I think ! Speaking of which here it comes again.

Does anyone have any knowledge of using epsom salts as a spray on greenhouse tomato plants? The bottom leaves on my plants are curling, with brown mottling, before turning yellow - I'm told it's either a watering problem or magnesium deficiency. I don't know which.

I have watered in Epsom salts a week ago, but with no effect. If I spray it on the leaves, am I likely to cause other problems?

As for the rain and slugs... I've tried to be good but the slug damage has been horrendous, and I had to bite the bullet. All my susceptible plants and veg now have a liberal carpet of slug pellets around them. Works a treat!
daituom

The lower leaves of tomatoes turn yellow as they age Gard, just remove them, the plants will be fine.