Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

silver birch for front garden

Hi, does anyone know whether a silver birch is suitable for a front garden which currently has no tree. I was concerned about effecting the foundations by planting in a new tree. It would be placed about 10-12 ft from the house.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's a bit near the house for any tree MP2.  Even a birch - which has a light canopy -  would block a lot of light too. Is there no way you can place it a bit further away?  

If you just want something attractive for the front garden there are lots of shrubs that will give a nice effect. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Silver birches are big trees and it's difficult to keep them to a lesser size. They are also brittle and drop twigs and branches as well as leaves. I would choose something smaller for a front garden. I doubt if it would affect your foundations, but you would need to check where your sewer runs as tree roots love to get into them.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd choose something smaller or something that can be pruned to size. Birch loses its lovely shape once you start pruning it.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

There was a silver birch in my front garden in London and sadly it had to go as it took water from the foundations in very dry weather, so the foundations had to be shored up.image

• MP2MP2 Posts: 25

ok thanks - any recommendations for trees that can be pruned to keep small or a small tree like shrub

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Hi mp2, can you describe the garden a bit ( better still post a photo). Grass, borders, existing plants, driveway, sunlight, etc???

A lot of front gardens have a Magnolia, which is pretty spectacular.

• MP2MP2 Posts: 25

It is a gravel rectangle approx 25' x 25' west facing with narrow borders at side. We wanted a tree at the front end behind a small wall to pavement. Magnolias seem pretty large too are their roots less thirsty?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

A crab apple like Golden Hornet, even when 40 years old like the one I know well, doesn't take up a lot of space either above or below ground, and is good for wildlife. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Not sure about Magnolias' requirements, but there are many different varieties; Spring flowering, Autumn flowering etc. They are quite common in small London front gardens, so I assume they don't cause problems. There is one in Holland Park Avenue that I use to love seeing.image