London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 40 of 45 messages
22/10/2012 at 17:01

Is there any update on this?  We also have it spreading across the drive and we are about to try a flamethrower on it to try and burn it off!

06/11/2012 at 13:06

was so pleased to find this identified as am despairing about it, but will now try the MMC-Pro mentioned

02/06/2013 at 22:21

We have same thing going on the garden paths. We just found the stuff this spring . I want to kill it now !

Thank you  

24/07/2013 at 20:31

We had been fighting the green slime of nostoc on our gravel driveway for a number of years with no success.  We tried every kind of weed killer and moss killer.  We tried copper sulfate, lime, and straight bleach.  We tried burning it off.  We even resorted to spray paint to try to sufficate it.  Nothing worked until.......  baking soda.  We just got bags of baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) from the local feed store and spread it on the driveway using a drop spreader.  We put a heavy coat on because we have no idea of the concentration level needed.   Within a week the nostoc turned brown - which from experience we know is the "dead" color.  The cripsy black color is just a "waiting to be rehydrated" color.  We are going to play with the concentration and see if dissolving the baking soda in water and spraying will have the same effect - but for now we are happy with the results.

Hope this helps someone else.  We felt we were fighting a losing battle to the slime!

25/07/2013 at 07:08

05/10/2013 at 13:51

what about bleach or toilet cleaner if patches are not on gardens..

05/10/2013 at 14:11

I havent been anywhere near your gravel 

29/05/2014 at 19:03

I want to make a suggestion and I believe I am right, Have any of you use round-up on your drive to get rid of weeds? I believe that there is a direct correlation between the Round-Up and the Blue Green Algae.

29/05/2014 at 19:04

I am very sure where this stuff started from and I would like for you to just think about it. Have you ever used Round-Up or a product that is similar to kill weeds on your driveway? I believe that is what started our Blue Green Algae problem. Something to think about!

30/05/2014 at 09:00

Have you tried using Jeyes fluid neat? That is quite good at killing algae.

V J
31/05/2014 at 18:18

What about vinegar??  Just a thought.....

02/08/2014 at 17:46
Wondering if jchventures has an update? I would love to know if the baking soda remedy is still holding as effective?

10/08/2014 at 13:23

Hi rlkatz, I used RoundUp only a month ago and now I have this Blue Green Algae.

10/08/2014 at 13:23

Hi rlkatz, I used RoundUp only a month ago and now I have this Blue Green Algae, you may have a point here as I never had this before using Round Up.

17/08/2014 at 20:13

Hi all, I have this in my gravel!  I used a BHS path cleaning product twice last year and again in june this year (August now) and I'm very confident that the problem has come from that.  I have been recomended white vinegar by some local chaps, also diluted chloride (bleach).  The stuff sold for keeping swimming pool water clean!  That'll be my next move.  Will let you know how it goes.

18/08/2014 at 00:42

If you read this whole thread, the only reported success is baking soda which is also the least noxious and damaging chemical mentioned, so why not try that first?

05/09/2014 at 01:08

Hi all, just to let you know this problem isn't only in England we have the algae on our driveway here in NZ. Comes up after spraying weeds with glyphosphate (Round Up).

Hoping the bicarb. of soda treatment will deal to it as it's awful stuff.

05/09/2014 at 18:32
I tried bicarb with no joy...I just had to manually remove it all and it's not returned so far, we are in autumn now though.
05/09/2014 at 18:41

Nostoc is a member of the Cyanophyta (actually they probably have some trendy modern name now*) which used to be called blue-green algae because some of them were blue-green and some of them looked like algae.  However, they'e a much simpler (prokaryotic) form of life, much more akin to bacteria.

Why am I telling you all this?  Because, not being an alga, it's possible that stuff designed to kill algae won't kill Nostoc.  Looks like sodium bicarbonate's the stuff,  but it might be worth doing some dosage investigation.

*Just looked it up.  Cyanobacteria.

15/09/2014 at 10:34

yep north auckland  newzealand . I have the same problem . I also have used roundup on the drive. I see it along the gravel road also . I think the council may use roundup ont he edge of the road. 

21 to 40 of 45 messages