London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
41 to 45 of 45 messages
mfg
19/09/2014 at 05:16

Also from Nth Auckland, New Zealand. I believe that alkaline soil also plays a part. We do not have any problems in our lawn or garden. The soil is quite acidic here, with clay and a thin layer of top soil. However, the gravel drive where the problem of Nostoc Commune is quite severe, has a lime base. We also use glyphosate to control the weeds.

04/10/2014 at 08:18

So . soda bicarb may controll it ? Yep may drive has a lime base also. 

20/10/2014 at 21:00

Mid Devon, UK: gravel driveway. Same green algae, Nostoc. Its been on and off for 3 years now; disappears in dry summers and recently came back after spraying the driveway with Roundup (to kill the weeds) and we had lots of rain... will try baking soda....

21/10/2014 at 05:15

I havnt had a chance to try the baking soda yet.Baking soda cheep if you buy from pool chemical supplyers.

21/10/2014 at 20:01

I've used Roundup (or its cheaper alternatives) for a couple of decades or so and in that time we've moved house several times.  However, it's only in our present house that I've ever come across this awful  Cyanobacteria 'Nostoc Commune'.  This is also the only house we've lived in which stands on a solid clay site and has certain drainage problems.  I have wondered if this slime is attracted to ground which produces poor drainage?   It certainly likes a humid location and is all over our two acre site  -  in almost every flower bed (with the exception of those which are sloping and offering good drainage), the complete length of the drive (flattish) and even occasionally on the flatter areas of grass.

Personally, I'd rule out Roundup as I've used it extensively in other locations without ever seeing Nostoc but all those other houses were on hills or sloping ground and never had drainage problems.  That being said, I'm still desperate for a way to destroy this pervasive pest.   Are there no agricultural chemists out there?

email image
41 to 45 of 45 messages