Start a new thread

81 to 89 of 89 replies

plant pauper

They're crossed.Let us know the results. 

I found this thread with interest. I have the same problem in SW France where May/June weather has been horrendously wet. As far as I can see, soda crystals are sodium carbonate, which is the same compound as used for increasing pH in swimming pools  - commonly labelled pH Plus In France. Anybody agree?

plant pauper

Yes it's sodium carbonate. What it's called in France I could not tell you. 

It could be nostac. This is a bacteria (Cyanobacteria)that turns slimy after rain or exposure to water but driies is in sunshine.

This problem showed on a tarmac path at an elderly relatives home this year a few days after I had sprayed with a moss killer.  It died away but with the rain this week has come back with a vengeance. It has also spread to a small area which has astroturf.   The astoturf was laid 3 years ago on top of an old carpet in an effort to kill ground elder and has never had a problem before.  The area is alluvial soil in a chalk valley so the ph will be alkaline. 

I will try the suggested treatments one by one starting with acidifying though I don't want to take the colour out of the astroturf.

To all those who think astroturf has no place in a garden I would agree but the relative is 95 & it gives her a safe place to potter and tend raised planters.

Advertisement

Thank you for all the feed back from Bill Hall, Cob Cottb, Parker 0482 and others. Yes it is apparently called Nostoc Commune or Star Jelly and is a bacteria. I last wrote 11th March and YES my driveway is still clear. I have since seen 2 neighbour in the past week with it, one outside her front wall on the pavement, the other in his back garden between brick paving, both had used Round Up, it seems this could be the cause.  I've also had another problem, I had to cut down a rotting apple tree last year so I saved a section about 3ft high and put it in the front garden with plants growing out the holes left by the cut off Branches. About 2 weeks ago, after loads of rain, 100's of tiny toadstools appeared  covering an area 2-3 feet wide around the trunk, after a quick panic I made up my soda mix and in 24hours they had disappeared, so far the plants around the trunk look fine. I hope you are all having the same success with good old soda and can't wait to hear. 

Thank you plant pauper for directing me to this thread. Husband online just now ordering soda crystals. Fingers crossed 😊

My father has the same problem after using roundup on his gravel driveway here in West Kerry, Ireland. Roundup must change the ph level in the soil then, he too said he never had it before spraying roundup and he's lived here for a very long time. We're going to try the washing soda solution.  A very interesting thread with what seems to be a simple and non toxic solution, wonderful! :) 

I cannot believe the great and practically instant results I have had using swimming pool PH Decreaser.

i just scattered over the gunk as the rains started and voila, gunk is dead!