London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
41 to 59 of 59 messages
14/06/2014 at 16:16
Reikijo wrote (see)

Victoria Sponge - invest in a couple of feeders if you can, one for peanuts and one for mixed seed, it could work.

Hi Reikijo

The feeding is no problem- everyone rocks up...just my garden is too small for any decent sized trees/ nesting places...

14/06/2014 at 16:17

More slug pubs going out tonight - they've started chomping on my Pak Choi 

14/06/2014 at 16:18

We cal long tailed tits the storm birds as we get a group of about 8 and as they leave the rain follows! 

The birds are around you just have to stop and look and listen - nature is wonderful  ..... apart from slugs!!!

Susie61 - a friend lives next door to a farmers crop field ..... never has any problem with slugs , they are either too busy in the field or the farmer sprays! Guess which one I think!

14/06/2014 at 16:45

Hi Victoria sponge ..if you want nesting boxes can you fix one to a wall or fence post ?

make sure it not south facing as the eggs/chicks will bake .... not good 

14/06/2014 at 16:58

I have nest boxes, yes, Reikijo, but as far as I am aware thrushes generally nest in trees or shrubs.

14/06/2014 at 17:19

hi - yes thrushes do , they need plenty of cover and nest in bushes. We did have one nest in a Winter Jasmine right next to our window! It is a very thick old plant and provided the necessary cover. It only happened the once but we do have grey squirrels rampaging in the garden and they love fledglings, not to play with. I think you are going to just enjoy the bird song should you be lucky enough to hear it. 

14/06/2014 at 17:27

I don't think my regular thrush sings that well tbh. I was wondering if it might be a mistle thrush because of its rubbish song.

14/06/2014 at 18:06

Could be. Do you see the bird or only hear it? The song thrush has a beautiful song, so perhaps it is a mistletoe thrush or ...... could it be a song thrush whose voice hasn't broken yet? 

14/06/2014 at 18:14

Maybe.

Im not sure if it's the same thrush all the time to be honest. It/they tend to gather a lot of food so I'm hoping it's a pair and that apart from the other day when another turned up, that's why I only see one at a time.

It sits on my rose arch all the time and sings a short repetitive song. I think the blackbird's song is nicer. I've tried to ID it but I think unless I had one in each hand I couldn't work out which was which. 

Apologies to the OP btw, just realised this is a slug thread not a bird thread

14/06/2014 at 18:49

To return to slugs - I'm in OH's bad books now - I 'borrowed' half a pint of his best Adnams Broadside to fill three slugpubs - and managed to tip most of it over the carrots - he doesn't mind giving me beer to fill the slug pubs, but not to waste it 

I shall have to buy him some more 

14/06/2014 at 18:57

Uh? How can you 'borrow' half a pint??? My family think I must be a secret drinker as I buy the cheapest beer on offer and store it in my shed .  They don't understand, I only drink wine! 

14/06/2014 at 18:59

V.S. There is a bird thread if you want to continue the tale!

14/06/2014 at 18:59

Dove!!!!!!!!!!!

Broadside for slugs?

Aldi cheap and cheerful is for slugs.

Broadside is for us

14/06/2014 at 19:00

ReikiJo my local tesco must think I'm a sad alcy as I buy their 4 pack of lager/ bitter, and I only drink wine too! 

14/06/2014 at 19:37
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Dove!!!!!!!!!!!

Broadside for slugs?

Aldi cheap and cheerful is for slugs.

Broadside is for us

I know - that's why I'm in trouble   I shall have to replace it 

14/06/2014 at 22:16

Phew!  This is a never ending problem.  Honestly I doub't that we will ever find a suitable solution that satisfies everyone.  There is a similarity between horticulture and medical practice.  Quite often  a certain drug will be prescribed for some illness etc.  I may be well known due practice over the years, that the drug will offer some respite to the present but at the same time.  Probably it has been found that the comforting drug will so often come with side effects.

Now!  Do we look at the side effects over and above the relief to the major problem?  In brief.  Do you wish to go on counting the daily cost of slugs and snails destroying you precious plants, or do we make use of gardening medicines that can ease the situation.  In the medical scientific world, treatments for side effects play a big part.  Likewise in horticultural science.

Perhaps we might do well to look at some of the side effects of chemicals in horticulture.  True most gardeners are also very keen amateur naturalists.  I spend much of my time between both subjects.

Chemical residue in the soil.  Believe it or not.  Our planet is a past master at rejuvination and self cleansing.  Compared to the vast land mass.  Our gardens muct be like tiny window boxes.  Should you feel that you have contaminated the soil.  Dig it over, add strengthenig mulches and feeds.  Any chemical will soon fade away.  Our fears that our tiny garden visitors might be poisoned.  It apears that we have forgotten that all forms of life, has been wonderfully made.  Animals can ad do ingest much, that if we tried it, we'd kill ourselves.  In my studies, even at a late age.  I have learned so much, regarding the automatic senses that animals and the lower invertebrates have, at immediately turning away from a harmful meal.  Take cats and dogs for instance.  The eat something that disagrees with them.  They go for grass, especially couch grass.  To them it's an emetic.

Use of what might be considered a safer alternative.  I think it was my friend Dove who mentioned, ferrous sulphate.  This is also known as, Sulphate of Iron.  Iron in the chemical soil balance plays a small part.  However, believe it or not.  It only takes a grain to tip the scales.  Often mention of a slug/snail deterrent is the use of copper bands and/or tape.  For one to make use of a specially prepared item such as a copper band.  The chemical stays in the product, and is only activated by the slime of the slug or snail.  The chemical constituents do not drain into the soil.  The use of ferrous sulphate or copper sulphate is taken up by the soil staight away.

Finally, please ask yourself, and please believe me.  I love wildlife just as much as I love horticulture and YOU LOT.  Please try and be sensible about this.  Believe me.  This problem is far less important than that which is facing mankind.  GM Crops.

14/06/2014 at 23:14

Phew - Mike Allen common sense at last!  I was told many years ago when there was concern about what mankind is doing to our wonderful planet: leave it alone, the planet Earth will recover and Heal itself. 

15/06/2014 at 06:41

Well, the Broadside worked - two sozzled slugs and no more chomping of the Pak Choi 

I shall get some more - for OH 

KEF
15/06/2014 at 07:21

Dove, carrots braised in beer that sounds nice

email image
41 to 59 of 59 messages