London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
9 messages
19/02/2014 at 17:04

Can anyone help? I just used liquid slug clear (diluted) on my flower bed of flowering plants to combat the huge snail and slug problem I seem to have but then totally forgot that I shouldn't use it on the strawberry plants in another flower bed and used some on these. Obviously it's February and no where near fruiting time but I'm worried that I put this on plants that will bear fruit that we will eat. Will it be safe to eat the  strawberries later on in the year? I am thinking it will but dont want to poison anyone.

Edd
19/02/2014 at 17:17

Product Description
Slug Clear Liquid

- For use on flowering and ornamental garden plants
- 250ml makes 75ltr of solution, treats up to 67m²
- Kills slugs and snails
- Invisible to pests
- DO NOT use near edible crops

"I contacted Scotts (the makers of Slug Clear) to enquire how long the ground, which had been treated with this, should be left before growing edible crops on it.

At least a year they said."

19/02/2014 at 17:22

It depresses me to hear that people still have such little regard for the effects on wildlife.

Edd
19/02/2014 at 17:43
19/02/2014 at 21:21

Nasty dangerous stuff - described by the manufacturers as 'potentially dangerous to wildlife' . 

19/02/2014 at 22:35

Gosh that stuff sounds awful! I'd be scared less I splashed it on my skin 

19/02/2014 at 22:40

I am afraid to say.. However so many, shall we call them Sunday gardeners.  Similar to Sunday drivers.  They garden by sight.  OOOh I've got this that and the other in my garden.  Mankind is the biggest destroyer on the planet, and so blind at times, not realising that we can be destroying ourselves and this beautiful home called earth.  Do in part to the inbalances bought about by our ill conceived ideas of balancing the books so to speak.  Years ago, many of our native birds took care of the snail problem.  Birds such as thrushes.  The slugs always proved to be gigh on the menue of Mr Spikey.  Aka the hedgehog.  Todays chemicals were not needed.  Now that an imbalance has developed, chemicals tend to be order of the day.  PLEASE.  If you find yourself resorting to their use.  Then thoroughly read and follow the instructions.  Most chemicals if applied early morning or last thing at night, will in most cases be absorbed into the plant system.  Many on the otherhand are made up with added constiuents, that caus the chemical to neutalise upon contact with the soil.  The odd ones out.  I think it was Edd, who informs us that he contacted the company whose product has raised this thread  Thanks Edd.  This is where forums such as this one can truly come into their own.  Please friends. Don't hesitate to post athread about some new idea or whatever that has come to your notice.

Might I say with the greatest of humbleness.  Thank you so much, for the kind comments, about my posts to this forum.  Mike has been at it for ages, but I am still learning.

Enjoy your gardening.

20/02/2014 at 06:27

Thank you Edd

20/02/2014 at 07:18

Thank you Mike. Its a shame we're not all in the position to rehome hedgehogs from rescues to provide them with homes and us with slug monitors! 

email image
9 messages