London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
11 messages
14/06/2013 at 16:39

GHello everyone.

I would be grateful for any help as I have made a big mistake. I was treating my flowers with SlugClear, which contains metaldehyde. Without thinking I started to sprinkle it onto my herbs and strawberry plants.

I know the metaldehyde is poisonous, my query is do I have to dig up and throw away those plants or will they become "safe" again after a number of weeks? 

This is the first year my herbs and strawberry plants have grown well, and being disabled, it will be very difficult and painful for me to start planting all over again, but I know I can't take any risk - I've seen what the stuff does to the slugs!

Thanks.

14/06/2013 at 17:47

Certainly don't throw the plants away.  If it's dry go outside and brush any pellets off the plants on to the soil and wash anything you pick.

In future read the pack.  It is not necessary to put lots of pellets down.  They can be pretty widely scattered.

14/06/2013 at 18:19

I have given up with pellets, this year I have put beer into plant trays to see what happens.  Put some in the greenhouse yesterday as the slugs and snails have eaten parts of my cucmbers and peppers, I am sure the little devils still had my peppers last night, I will have to wait and see.  Trying to garden without chemicals which I have done for many years, mostly successful.

Any ideas how to stop cats scratching my veg patch?.  I have netted my plants, but they messed on the top of it, this year scratched all my carrot seeds.

14/06/2013 at 18:44

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I should have said that it was liquid slug killer that you mix with water and use the watering can, so solution was sprinked on the plants. I have tried every kind of killer and this has been the only one that worked.

14/06/2013 at 18:47

Susan - you can get cat repellant which has a strong citrus smell which they don't like. Mother in law puts orange peel on the earth. If it is somewhere dry, then ground pepper or chilli powder is quite good.

14/06/2013 at 18:47

Hi. Thanks for your replies. I should have said that it was liquid slug killer that you mix with water and use the watering can, so solution was sprinked on the plants. I have tried every kind of killer and this has been the only one that worked.

14/06/2013 at 19:55

Hi,  I have tried all that, also Olbas Oil on T.Bags, nothing works round here, was looking at battery operated sonic sound, hoping that works.  We have so many cats here, see different one every week, I love cats but not their mess or scratching my veg patch.  I have two containers of chilli powder, thought it might make them sneeze, but to no avail, made of stronger stuff in Braintree, Essex. Thanks.

14/06/2013 at 20:07

I have tried the sonic ones, some cheap and some expensive but they didn't do anything. In fact one cat used it for scratching its back!

14/06/2013 at 23:52

Using my tea bags wouldn't do much to deter them. I drink Morrisons own Green Tea With Mint. I keep finding the bags pulled off the compost heap and scattered around the garden. 

You could try rabbit mesh aka chicken wire. It won't stop them leaving a mess but it'll stop them digging up the patch. Probably not a concern for you, but it has a weakness when used on fences: sheep love to rub against it, and they rub it down to the ground, whereupon the rabbits hop right over it.

15/06/2013 at 07:03

To answer the original question - do not eat the veg and fruit!  Contact the manufacturer for advice.  

Having read how metaldehyde works, I don't use it anywhere in my garden - I'd rather go without the strawberries.

15/06/2013 at 09:58

Hi Dovefromabove. I have e-mailed the manufacturer and filled in their 'contact me' form but haven't had a reply. I can't phone them as I have a speech problem. I don't know how any of the slug stuff works. I had just worked my way through them all trying to find one that worked. I cleared 23 dead snails and 44 slugs on Thursday, and I haven't got abig garden. I thought the liquid was probably safest as 1 of my  cats will eat anything it can pick up.

email image
11 messages