London (change)
Today 8°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
16 messages
17/06/2012 at 11:32

Is it just me or has anyone else had problems with 'furry' slug pellets? I know they usually 'breakdown' after a while, but they have swollen up and gone all furry !  I don't know whether it is because they are old or whether they were just a cheap brand but I have never seen this before it looks awful.  

17/06/2012 at 11:37

It happens when they get wet- just hoe them in. 

17/06/2012 at 11:59

please stop using slug pellets, its a cruel death and when the birds eat the dead slugs, snails, they die too.

17/06/2012 at 12:06

Sorry I hate to disagree but that is not so- there is enough poison in the pellet to kill a slug there is not enough poison in that slug to kill a bird even if it wanted to eat it-a bird is going to have to eat hundreds of poisoned slugs in one go to be affected.

There are alternatives ways of destroying slugs- but if someone wants to use pellets that is up to them

17/06/2012 at 12:26
Hi folks is there pellets that you can get that k the slugs but are friendly to birds etc, as my garden is quiet big and there seems to be no end to the slugs and it very hard to nurture a plant from seed only to see it ravaged by a slug may weeks later!!
17/06/2012 at 12:38

Sorry, slug pellets are dangerous not only to slugs but, also to the wildlife that eats the remains, there are other ways of keeping control of slugs/snails but, afterall they are a living creature and deserve a life or a painless death.

17/06/2012 at 13:15

We could argue about this all day -a painless death how? -they have no central nervous system?

5000 poisoned slug would need to need eaten by a hedgehog to do it any harm

http://www.wildlife-web.org.uk/hedgehog/facts/dangers.html

I am not saying there is no danger in slug pellets- just giving a bit of perspective.

17/06/2012 at 13:22
paulkearney wrote (see)
Hi folks is there pellets that you can get that k the slugs but are friendly to birds etc, as my garden is quiet big and there seems to be no end to the slugs and it very hard to nurture a plant from seed only to see it ravaged by a slug may weeks later!!

Yes, Growing Success Advanced Slug Pellets in a tall blue tub. Slightly more expensive, but safe for all wildlife except slugs and snails. They contain ferric phosphate, a form of iron, which breaks down into fertilizer after six weeks.

Slugs and snails which eat it crawl away to find somewhere dark to die, so you don't end up picking them off your path, either.

17/06/2012 at 22:09

<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[ // Begin Ad Muncher helper script // Do not remove without removing all references to this in the below page (eg: everything containing "XxY" or "Xxb") // Retrieved from: 94.236.55.186:80 function XxYn(){return false;};function XxYbHelp(a,b){XxYXgp(a);XxYXbn();return;};function XxYb(a,b,c,d){XxYXgp(a);XxYXbn();return XxYXfw(b);};function XxYXpp(a){XxYXppa=a;if(a)XxYXorgsti("XxYXppa=0;",500);};function XxYbtePopup(a,b,c,d,e,f){XxYXgp();XxYXbn();return XxYXfw();};function XxYbModalDialog(a,b,c){XxYXgp(a);XxYXbn();return XxYXfw();};function XxYXj(m,u,l){if(XxYXolp){XxYXqn=XxYXqnbu;XxYXolp=0;};return true;};function XxYbModelessDialog(a,b,c){XxYXgp(a);XxYXbn();return XxYXfw();};function XxYXpl(a,b,c){while(a.indexOf(b)!=-1)a=a.replace(b,c);return a;};function XxYXtry(a){if(XxYXtryk())eval("try{"+a+"}catch(e){};");else eval(a);};function XxYXtrys(a){if(XxYXtryk())eval("try{"+a+"}catch(e){};");};function XxYc(){XxYXqn=XxYXqnbu=10;XxYXorgsti("XxYXqn=XxYXqnbu=0;",500);return;};function XxYX__amscript_addonload(a){XxYX_ams_onload[XxYX_ams_onload_i++]=(typeof(a)=="function")?a:new Function(a);};function XxYX__amscript_addonunload(a){XxYX_ams_onunload[XxYX_ams_onunload_i++]=(typeof(a)=="function")?a:new Function(a);};function XxYXfcs(z){XxYXfcsr=0;if(z){XxYXfcsrz=z;XxYXtry("XxYXfcsr=XxYXfcsd();");};return XxYXfcsr;};function XxYXfc(a,z){for(var i=0;i<a.length;i++)if(a.name==z||XxYXfc(a.frames,z))return 1;return 0;};function Xxb(z){if(typeof(z.location)!="undefined"||typeof(z.blur)=="undefined")return false;return z.blur();};function XxYf(z){if(typeof(z.location)!="undefined"||typeof(z.focus)=="undefined")return false;return z.focus();};function XxYXHelp(a,b){if(XxYXck(a))return;if(XxYXqn)XxYXqn-=1;if(b)return showHelp(a,b);else return showHelp(a);};function XxYTimeout(a,b){if(((!XxYXqn&&!XxYXa)||XxYXppa||XxYXul)&&typeof(a)=="string")return XxYXorgsti("XxYXpp(1);"+a+";XxYXpp(0);",b);return XxYXorgsti(a,b);};function XxYInterval(a,b){if(((!XxYXqn&&!XxYXa)||XxYXppa||XxYXul)&&typeof(a)=="string")return XxYXorgsin("XxYXpp(1);"+a+";XxYXpp(0);",b);return XxYXorgsin(a,b);};function XxYXbn(){if(XxYXd&&XxYXm){if(XxYXb){XxYXc="s";XxYXb+=", "+XxYXm;}else{XxYXc="";XxYXb=XxYXm;};XxYXi="Popup"+XxYXc+" on page blocked by Ad Muncher: "+XxYXb;XxYXu();};};function XxYXox(){var x;for(var i=0;i<XxYX_ams_onunload.length;i++){if(typeof(XxYX_ams_onunload)=="function")XxYX_ams_onunload();};if(typeof(XxYXffad)!="undefined"&&!XxYXffadd){if(XxYXkou)XxYXul=1;XxYXffadd=1;if(typeof(XxYXffad)=="function")x=XxYXffad();else eval(XxYXffad);XxYXul=0;};return x;};function XxYXModalDialog(a,b,c){if(XxYXck(a,b))return XxYXfw();if(XxYXqn)XxYXqn-=1;if(c)return showModalDialog(a,b,c);else if(b)return showModalDialog(a,b);else return showModalDialog(a);};function XxYXibd(){XxYXbid=0;XxYXtrys("if(event.which==1)XxYXbid=1;");XxYXtrys("if(event.button==1)XxYXbid=1;");XxYXtrys("var XxYXclr=arguments.callee.caller;for(var XxYXinc=0;XxYXinc++<20&&XxYXclr;){if(XxYXclr.arguments.length==1){var XxYXarg=XxYXclr.arguments;if(typeof(XxYXarg)=='object'&&(XxYXarg.which==1||XxYXarg.button==1))XxYXbid=1;}XxYXclr=XxYXclr.caller;}");return XxYXbid;}function XxYXs(a){if((typeof(a.target)!="undefined"&&typeof(a.action)!="undefined"&&a.target&&XxYXnw(a.target)&&XxYXck(a.action))||typeof(a.submit)=="undefined")return false;return a.submit();};function XxYXt(a){if((XxYXqn||XxYXa)&&!XxYXppa&&!XxYXul){if(XxYXqn)XxYXqn-=1;return alert(a);};if(a&&XxYXd){XxYXi="Alert message blocked by Ad Muncher: "+XxYXpl(a,"\n"," ");XxYXu();};return false;};function XxYXModelessDialog(a,b,c){if(XxYXck(a,b))return XxYXfw();if(XxYXqn)XxYXqn-=1;if(c)return showModelessDialog(a,b,c);else if(b)return showModelessDialog(a,b);else return showModelessDialog(a);};function XxYXsp(a,z){if(a.split)return a.split(z);var j,c,s,n,b,e;j=b=0;c=on.length;s=new Arra

17/06/2012 at 22:10

That is not what I typed

17/06/2012 at 22:12

I can imagine

17/06/2012 at 22:40

That was annoying,I was trying to say don't judge us that use slug pelletts. I use them occassionally, mainly in my cold frame, but don't feel that I'm am a bird murderer etc.

I was also trying to  say that I don't believe that slugs "deserve a life or a painless death"Anyway you despatch them,be it growing success, beer traps, stamping on them, cutting them in half............the slugs die.

I agree with geoff, lets keep it in perspective

17/06/2012 at 23:25
I use the advanced slug pellets. I also go out after rain (sometimes when it is raining) armed with my trusty slug knife and slice any I see. I spend too much on my plants to have them eaten by these slimy critters. I love wildlife, especially the birds so would not use anything that I thought would harm them.
17/06/2012 at 23:36
Anyone know where I can get a good quality but not too expensive cold frame??
17/06/2012 at 23:41

@paulkearney have you looked at amazon, they have a variety of types and a variety of prices, you will get what you pay for. I bought a gardmen this spring and so far I am delighted with it, but it has not been through a winter so I would have to wait a year to give a proper review.

18/06/2012 at 00:03
Thanks Kate could really do with one at the minute not for the temperatures but the rain is horrible at the minute cuttings and seedlings wouldn't stand a chance!
email image
16 messages