London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 31 messages
25/05/2014 at 08:15

As we all know this is a good year for slugs and consequently an annoying one for gardeners.  Even in our garden with its gritty loam, hedgehogs and frogs, we are seeing the effects of marauding slugs.

I have therefore asked my Under gardener to spare a couple of inches of beer every now and then to use in a Slug Pub.  

Understanding that the slugs only need a small portion of the beer in a standard bottle, my Under-gardener has enthusiastically volunteered to do some research into the best beer for slug pubs, but wary of the possible damage to his liver (and bank balance) and seeing no reason to re-invent the wheel, I wondered whether any of you have established the slugs' beer of choice or alternatively whether you and/or your Under-gardeners would like to join in my Under-gardener's research on this important subject.

He has pointed out to me that this research will have added benefits as the Recycled Beer can be used as a potent activator on the compost heaps. 

Will you join in this research?  What is there to lose?

25/05/2014 at 08:20

Our slugs were very choosy.  I had bought very cheap Tennants Lager - (and I'm pretty much teetotal so wasn't drinking it) - they weren't interested.  My BIG success came with the more price Stella Artois.  Five minutes after that was placed in several little old microwave plastic containers in the ground - the slugs were all over it.  Stronger smelling stuff I felt did the trick.  They just couldn't stay away.  But the Stella was pricey.

25/05/2014 at 09:19

Oh dear, he's not keen on Stella - research must continue .................... 

KEF
25/05/2014 at 09:37

Ours get the cheapest supermarket brand, otherwise OH would get to it first  I'm sure he'd join any beer survey, just to be helpful  

25/05/2014 at 10:01

Mine prefer lidl cheapest to aldi cheapest. Though aldi is 20p dearer. Bitter rather than lager. 

25/05/2014 at 10:15

What about Real Ale? - OH is partial to Adnams Broadside, Cotleigh Barn Owl and Guinness - I'm going to have to siphon some off when he's not looking 

25/05/2014 at 11:19

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/46870.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

Huh,just been to Lidl. Their cheap stuff is now £2.19 for 4 cans. Hatherwood premium bitter. Thats a 10% rise by my reckoning. It works well though.

25/05/2014 at 11:38

figetbones   Glad I saw this a long time before lunch.  

Son no.2 has Bud's in the fridge but I'll have to wrestle one off him to experiment with. The main problem here is that the beer would be watered down with the rain most of the time.  Disclaimer notice "Beer in Pubs, Restaurants etc in Scotland are not watered down"

25/05/2014 at 11:41

Urghhh, thanks for the Fidget  I have got my yoghurt pot collection ready and some cheap lager from Aldi which I thought I would try to start with.  That picture has just out me off slightly.....what do you do with the 'waste'? I was planning on just disposing of the whole yoghurt pot without emptying it or having to look at it too much 

25/05/2014 at 11:43

I just throw them in the green waste bin with the  noxious weeds.

29/05/2014 at 19:01

Slugs in my garden seem to like Asda smart price bitter (£1.00 for 4 cans). They don't seem too keen on larger. 

29/05/2014 at 19:10

The cheapest I found was 4 pack in Tescos , own brand, tried bitter and lager, both pretty successful, couldn't,t really tell a difference, tried yeast, water and sugar too, that didn't,t work as well and smelled revolting

KEF
29/05/2014 at 19:15

Currently the slugs here are too full with feeding before they get to beer traps. So I have a beer and go and slaughter and don't feel as

29/05/2014 at 19:27

Wonder what they would du for a Duvel?

29/05/2014 at 21:56

I was using Aldi's cheapest beer can't remember what they were called, but they were small bottles in a large pack. The slugs loved these and seemed to enjoy their slug pubs. I have bought today Tesco value bitter which was much cheaper and giving that a go.... I'll let you know.

30/05/2014 at 09:06

There's been no point in putting any slug pubs out for the past few days - I'd have been accused of watering the beer!!!

30/05/2014 at 09:36

Just planted some hostas in a bed and considering beer traps but not used them before - whats the best sort of container ( size and depth )??

30/05/2014 at 11:10

I use yoghurt pots - only half full of beer so they can't reach in and drink it - sink the pots into the soil but leave the top of the pub sticking out of the soil so the good little beetles don't fall in.

Some ideas here http://www.slugoff.co.uk/killing-slugs/beer-trap 

30/05/2014 at 11:33

I've used tins and jar jams but tins seem to work best purely because the slugs have to slide right down inside to get to the beer/lager. With the jam jars I have found the big slugs (4 inches) don't topple into it, as as they can reach beer and still hang on the outside of it, they get blind drunk and by early morning have recovered enough to slither away. But for small slugs beer traps are great. 

30/05/2014 at 11:37

Dove, best beer is Butty Bach - for your under-gardener not the slugs  ;) 

1 to 20 of 31 messages