London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
21 to 31 of 31 messages
23/07/2012 at 22:32

I too gather up slugs & snails. I've heard that it is the most effective option & I would agree. I find that a long thin bulb trowel is the best tool, which avoids the "touching"  factor. I bottle mine up in a certain hot chocolate drink container as my wife is an addict, so over the year we accummulate sufficient for the slug season, and then add them to the refuse sack so they are atomised by the council incinerator.  Gathering them has almost become obsessive, in seeing just how many can infest one's garden, so a tally of approx 1000 in both 2009 & 2010, hardly any in 2011, but have exceeded 1300 already this year. 

23/07/2012 at 22:52

Wow!  thats a bumper crop of slugs.  Thats a good idea too collecting the containers ready for the slugging season and leaving them for the bin men.

24/07/2012 at 00:29

A word of warning about collecting slugs/snails in screwtop container for disposal with refuse. If container does not reach capacity over 2 or 3 days of gathering forays, it's best to start a fresh container, as continuing to use same container after approx 3 days, (especially in warm conditions) results in the most obnoxious odour from the decomposing conquests.

24/07/2012 at 23:02

Me and my little boy put the slugs in a container of salt and leave overnight, by the time we get back to it in the morning the slugs have pretty much dissolved and can just be thrown in the bin. My little lad loves the goryness of it all and 1p a slug is a great incentive! (he's only 4 so he's happy with a handfull of coppers) Think I might try the flour and water method though.

24/07/2012 at 23:40
A pot of salty water and a torch keeps slugs and snails to a minimum. The slime? I wipe my hands in kitchen tissue and then wash my hands....it works very well.
30/07/2012 at 17:29

When I collect them I use 2 plastic bags.  I save all the small thin bags you get from the greengrocery counter in the supermarket etc. to use as binliners in the bathroom bin and these also make ideal slug collecting bags.  Put one bag over your right hand (if you're right-handed) and use this as a glove to keep the slime off you. Place the slugs into the other bag. When you have finished collecting, put the 'glove' bag inside the slug bag and securely knot the top, then put the whole thing in your bin.

30/07/2012 at 22:57
ChapelGirl2 wrote (see)

When I collect them I use 2 plastic bags.  I save all the small thin bags you get from the greengrocery counter in the supermarket etc. to use as binliners in the bathroom bin and these also make ideal slug collecting bags.  Put one bag over your right hand (if you're right-handed) and use this as a glove to keep the slime off you. Place the slugs into the other bag. When you have finished collecting, put the 'glove' bag inside the slug bag and securely knot the top, then put the whole thing in your bin.

Value nappy sacks are good and scented too

03/08/2012 at 12:07
Wiping your slug slime covered hands on grass is the best solution! It works a treat for me.
03/08/2012 at 12:32
I know I know , but the poor slugs!!!!
03/08/2012 at 13:21

I garden for a living and you wouldn't believe how many I go over with the mower ! makes a fab noise...

03/08/2012 at 14:59

Use tweezers, you can get plastic one them for pennies. I also put them in salty water then down the drain.

email image
21 to 31 of 31 messages