Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Slugs and aphids, already a problem!

I'm getting trouble with slugs and aphids already! I have a 30ft x 3ft rose border and all my roses are bursting into life; indeed one plant already has a big bud on it, yay! BUT, all the new growth is swarming with greenfly. I don't really want to use chemicals as I have a dog. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, slugs... I have a poly-tunnel and they're in there already starting to eat my newly sprouting dahlias - not impressed. I had to relent and have used some Eraza in there which seems to have done the trick, but obviously once they are ready to go outside, I can't use it then because of the dog. I had horrendous trouble with them last year and my poor dahlias got shredded every night.I had to go out at night and put salt on them. I guess what I really need is a hedgehog as the frogs in my pond seem to be making little impact in the slimy blighters.

• Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295

Hi Poodle,

For the aphids try using a spray of diluted Neem oil ... it is totally organic.

See this link for further info.

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-insecticide.html

and this one for how to make it.

http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-insect-spray.html

Works for me for aphids.

I share your pain re the slugs ... 

Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • Poodle2Poodle2 Posts: 4

Thanks for that Bee witched. I found the oil on ebay and have put my order in! Re the slugs, its heartbreaking watching all your beautiful dahlias being used like a salad bar! Very annoying.

• charlie22charlie22 Posts: 154

Hi Poodle2. A  great product I use for killing slugs and snails is  Slug Clear. A bloody good product if you ask me. This does kill the little buggers. You can buy this on E-bay. It's a liquid product you put in a watering can and add water. This is NOT to be used on edible plants, only ornamentals. On my allotment I use Slug Gone Wool Pellets. Stinks of the sheep's wool but very effective. I buy a 20ltr packet  from Mr Fothergills for £20. I wait till they have free p+p. Never looked any where else for it though. For Aphids I just use my finger and thumb and rub them off. Hope you find this helpful

• Bee witchedBee witched Posts: 1,295

Hi Poodle,

You might want to consider slug pellets based on Ferric Phosphate. It is supposed to be Ok for pets ... but you could put the pellets under a few short planks so your dog won't see them.

Good luck with the neem ... it is also good for preventing damage from sawfly.

Gardener and beekeeper in beautiful Scottish Borders  

A single bee creates just one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in her lifetime
  • charlie22charlie22 Posts: 154

sorry I forgot to add these products are safe for animals and wild life. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,546

If you use ferric posphate as per manufacturer's instructions you only need 2 or 3 per plant. Very economical and very unlikely to attract attention from your dog. They are supposed to be safe for pets in any case.