London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
3 messages
11/04/2012 at 11:09

I am so impressed with this concoction that I feel I have a duty to broadcast it to everyone. I have been plagued for years with slugs and snails eating my plants, as soon as they poke their heads out of the soil, they are attacked.  I have tried all sorts of things, beer traps, copper wire and always resorted back to the dreaded pellets.

I saw this concoction on an episode of Gardens World and tried it and it really does seem to have done the trick.  All my plants are healthy and not a slug or snail in sight.  

To make: is one whole garlic bulb, crushed or roughly chopped in a saucepan of 1 litre of water, boil for 5 minutes, leave to cool, strain off garlic to leave just the liquid, transfer to a bottle and keep it in the fridge.  To use, dilute 1 tablespoon of garlic water into 1 litre of water and spray plants and surrounding soil.  It's cheap and I have found it very effective.  

14/04/2012 at 14:55

Good for you! Thanks for tip.  I use Grazers dilulted and spray on my borders to keep rabbits off and it works.  An allottmenteer told me about it.  BUT I have a huge problem in my polytunnel with mice who get in when the doors are shut and I have new seedlings to plant out in the tunnel but am afraid to as I don't want to open the door one morning and find everything has vanished.  I set four traps every night and so far have caught three!  Anyone out there who can help please?

14/04/2012 at 15:37

Try Peppermint Oil, Rodents are apparently alergic to it, I tried it in my house and we have been mouse free for the last 4 years, hope it works.

email image
3 messages