London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
6 messages
11/04/2012 at 11:09

I am so impressed with this concoction that I feel I have a duty to broadcast it to everyone. I have been plagued for years with slugs and snails eating my plants, as soon as they poke their heads out of the soil, they are attacked.  I have tried all sorts of things, beer traps, copper wire and always resorted back to the dreaded pellets.

I saw this concoction on an episode of Gardens World and tried it and it really does seem to have done the trick.  All my plants are healthy and not a slug or snail in sight.  

To make: is one whole garlic bulb, crushed or roughly chopped in a saucepan of 1 litre of water, boil for 5 minutes, leave to cool, strain off garlic to leave just the liquid, transfer to a bottle and keep it in the fridge.  To use, dilute 1 tablespoon of garlic water into 1 litre of water and spray plants and surrounding soil.  It's cheap and I have found it very effective.  

14/04/2012 at 14:55

Good for you! Thanks for tip.  I use Grazers dilulted and spray on my borders to keep rabbits off and it works.  An allottmenteer told me about it.  BUT I have a huge problem in my polytunnel with mice who get in when the doors are shut and I have new seedlings to plant out in the tunnel but am afraid to as I don't want to open the door one morning and find everything has vanished.  I set four traps every night and so far have caught three!  Anyone out there who can help please?

14/04/2012 at 15:37

Try Peppermint Oil, Rodents are apparently alergic to it, I tried it in my house and we have been mouse free for the last 4 years, hope it works.

21/05/2014 at 17:28

Hi guys will this mixture work for aphids, greenfly, whitefly and the like? As my roses, fatsia Japonica, and various other plants get decimated by then, not including my hostas with snails. All the searches on the web bring up American websites detailing using parafin oil, mineral oil etc etc and they say it works for all of the above?

Lyn
21/05/2014 at 18:14

I made it like that but it didnt work on the hostas.

21/05/2014 at 18:55

Thanks Lyn

email image
6 messages