London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
20 messages
11/04/2012 at 11:20

Im about to begin an experiment using human hair as a deterrent for slugs and snails, i have heard that this works really well as hair has tiny barbs on it and they dont like it, i wonder has anyone tried this??it will hopefully help against the mature slugs but would appreciate any tips on dealing with juveniles which tend to live under the soil...any pointers would really help as i use bark mulch for the paths and timber for the beds, thank you all so much in advance!!!

11/04/2012 at 11:49

Hello rosie plum,

You can water the soil with nematodes. Have a look at Pippa's blog on controlling slugs with nematodes.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

11/04/2012 at 12:20

cheers, my problem is where i live in ireland the garden centres are badly stocked and find it so hard to find these things!!!im backed onto old bog so there are no shortage of frogs and toads...but the slugs are rampant because of the damp heavy soil...i have been going by the philosphy that if something dies or gets eaten then i dont plant anymore but want to start a veg collection!!

12/04/2012 at 18:59

Slug pellets (Slug Clear!) works wonders, keep applying ever 2-3 weeks and you get little damage. The damage to wildlife is much exagerated and regurgitatd by some. I have tried egg shells, hair, pepper, tea leaves and none work when it rains.

12/04/2012 at 19:23

i have been putting down the pellets but dont really want them on the lettuce and other veg to be honest

12/04/2012 at 20:16

Perhaps not good to be mentioning a rival magazine but there is an offer in this months Kitchen Garden for nematodes, buy 2 packs and get 1 free.  I have just ordered. For the last few weeks we have been putting Melon skin on our beds (skin upwards) then going out at night with a torch and knife. Been catching up to 20 each time, they really like Melon.

12/04/2012 at 20:20

ooh no i dont think id have the stomach for that sort of a massacre haha..il try the hair as a firend has a barbers...

12/04/2012 at 20:41

Try putting plastic cups with beer in,

12/04/2012 at 20:54

Try getting used coffe grounds from you local cafe and spreading that around your plants.

12/04/2012 at 21:09

i use melon and beer traps both work well. i have a meadow beside my back garden so always have lots of snails, this year the thrush are back so they are doing a brill job

12/04/2012 at 21:59
I'm experimenting with copper piping. I cut old pipes into smallish pieces and surrounded my delphiniums with them it has worked a treat so far I check no leaves are trailing outside circle and have mulched inside the circle.
12/04/2012 at 22:06

oh i will try that the plumber has just ripped out my bathroom and lots of copper pipe

so will try

12/04/2012 at 22:08

has anyone got a cure for earwigs they are reaking havoc in my garden have tried sprays derris dust going out in the dark but i have hundreds of them .

13/04/2012 at 20:05

Earwigs like damp conditions. You could try a moat of dry material to keep them off your plants. Not 100% as they can fly.

Try rolling up newspaper and wet it down slightly, place in your garden where you are finding earwigs. Leave overnight and check in the morning you might have some inside the roll. burn the roll to destroy your pests and repeat.

13/04/2012 at 20:27

also small plant pots fills with hay, dry grass clippings, turned upside down and one side raised slightly for access and in the morn you can burn the contents, earwigs will crawl inside for shelter

13/04/2012 at 21:27

A good old Chrysant growers trick there rosie plum.

I have just returned from a Slug hunting trip. Caught 24 tonight all feeding happily under my Melon skins.

13/04/2012 at 22:07

ooh the poor buggers burhinus... hope you gave them a quick death!!!!

i found a slug in an old plant pot by the muck heap...he was a monster!!!!!about 3+ inches long and almost as wide....it took some force to pull him away from the surface!!!!an old man slug i bet!!

13/04/2012 at 22:56

As quick as a flash rosie plum.

13/04/2012 at 23:04

well time enough for the garden tomoro, i having a few sups of guinness!!mmm

14/04/2012 at 07:26

I have old stone walls around my garden, Heaven for slugs and snails. I use a combination of nematodes....not so effective on snails....copper tape gives the beggars an electrostatic shock(according to the blurb), and pellets for the snails. Add to that the local Song thrush, and we seem to be holding our own. The pellets are under things so the birds aren't likely to get them or the dead slimeys. Just have a regular 'corpse patrol' to dispose of them.

email image
20 messages