Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

slugs and snails

Im about to begin an experiment using human hair as a deterrent for slugs and snails, i have heard that this works really well as hair has tiny barbs on it and they dont like it, i wonder has anyone tried this??it will hopefully help against the mature slugs but would appreciate any tips on dealing with juveniles which tend to live under the soil...any pointers would really help as i use bark mulch for the paths and timber for the beds, thank you all so much in advance!!!

• Hello rosie plum,

You can water the soil with nematodes. Have a look at Pippa's blog on controlling slugs with nematodes.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

• cheers, my problem is where i live in ireland the garden centres are badly stocked and find it so hard to find these things!!!im backed onto old bog so there are no shortage of frogs and toads...but the slugs are rampant because of the damp heavy soil...i have been going by the philosphy that if something dies or gets eaten then i dont plant anymore but want to start a veg collection!!

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Slug pellets (Slug Clear!) works wonders, keep applying ever 2-3 weeks and you get little damage. The damage to wildlife is much exagerated and regurgitatd by some. I have tried egg shells, hair, pepper, tea leaves and none work when it rains.

• i have been putting down the pellets but dont really want them on the lettuce and other veg to be honest

• burhinusburhinus Posts: 58

Perhaps not good to be mentioning a rival magazine but there is an offer in this months Kitchen Garden for nematodes, buy 2 packs and get 1 free.  I have just ordered. For the last few weeks we have been putting Melon skin on our beds (skin upwards) then going out at night with a torch and knife. Been catching up to 20 each time, they really like Melon.

• ooh no i dont think id have the stomach for that sort of a massacre haha..il try the hair as a firend has a barbers...

• delythsdelyths Posts: 4

Try putting plastic cups with beer in,

• 53clogger53clogger Posts: 16

Try getting used coffe grounds from you local cafe and spreading that around your plants.

• i use melon and beer traps both work well. i have a meadow beside my back garden so always have lots of snails, this year the thrush are back so they are doing a brill job

• VonmarrVonmarr Posts: 7
    I'm experimenting with copper piping. I cut old pipes into smallish pieces and surrounded my delphiniums with them it has worked a treat so far I check no leaves are trailing outside circle and have mulched inside the circle.