London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 8°C
10 messages
19/05/2014 at 19:59

Has anyone got the recipe that was given out on Gardeners world some years ago for garlic wash to deter these pests please.

19/05/2014 at 20:57

I did a search on this site and found this.  Hope its what you're looking for.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/talkback-bluebells-tulips-and-the-malvern-show/722.html

19/05/2014 at 22:31

my self, this my recipe , boil a pint of water put a clove  in, leave to cool and when cooled put water with clove in spray bottle  and top up with  water (it will come stronger).

Edd
19/05/2014 at 22:40

Mix 6 tea spoons of (cheap) instant coffee into a 1Lt bottle and spray on the soil. Otherwise use nematodes. They might be expensive but they are the only true and natural cure, for slugs and snails. It pays off over the year, believe me.

20/05/2014 at 08:39

I have just woken up to find 80% of my beans decimated...and two big fat snails crawling over the last two. I've been using nematodes, I've been watering the ground with a a boiled up snails mixture to put them off. I've patrolled the garden every evening to hand pick them (got 50+ yesterday). I'm about to give up the whole flipping thing and just grow roses...they don't seem to be interested in those....yet!!

please please if anyone has any advice I would be so very grateful!

20/05/2014 at 08:41

(...the slugs do seem to have diminished considerably - it's just the snails...)

20/05/2014 at 09:02

Spread a layer of sharp sand around the beans - they don't crawl over that - it's keeping them away from my sunflowers 

20/05/2014 at 09:05

ok I'm on it!

thank you so much!

24/05/2014 at 15:28

Or crushed up egg shells as an alternate for sharp sand!

24/05/2014 at 15:50
Ok I think I need some sharp sand. I have tried eggshells and they haven't worked, maybe I didn't crush them up fine enough. I recently potted on flowers I'd grown from seeds and every morning I go out and more have been destroyed. Cosmos that was really tall and I thought would be OK, is just felled by snails, I find them on the bottom and they have literally taken the whole thing down. I put flowering tobacco in the ground and they have just been eaten. I grew lots of Honesty from seeds and I've potted them on, but I read that you shouldn't keep them in pots and get them into the ground asap, but I'm worried the snails will just take them down.
Glad to read this post, going to try the methods above, where's the best place to get sharp sand?
email image
10 messages