London (change)
Thu 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
5 messages
26/06/2012 at 13:15

Hi can anybody tell how to stop slugs and snails eating my clematis every year it is the same.I've tried pellets around the bottom, copper tape around the pot and keeping foliage from other plants away so that the slugs and snails can't reach across.Its getting very disheartening now ..help .. 

26/06/2012 at 13:59

I'd suggest that you go out after dark with a torch and pick them off. This might show you where they're coming from but, in any case, will decrease their numbers significantly if done every night for a few weeks. It may well be that they are living in the clematis itself.

26/06/2012 at 23:10
I have had the same problem carolyn, nothing seems to stop them. I went out earlier just before it got dark and managed to slice a few of the slimy critters. With all this wet weather we are having things will only get worse. Nothing is safe from the little varmits !
26/06/2012 at 23:30

Definitely take a torch out on a warm damp night.  As Alina says, some snails actually live within the leaves and don't often go down to ground level.  I have hundreds of them living in the ivy covering some of my fences - common yellow and black striped ones.

20/05/2014 at 21:12

I have much the same problem.

My clematis is growing up a trellis against a wall, it's the baby snails getting up the wall and light in weight so can trail onto the flowers and eat them. Tried picking off and even hosing but just fighting a losing battle, there are hundreds- help!

email image
5 messages