London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
21 to 40 of 44 messages
13/07/2012 at 19:27

im going to try flour and water tonight

13/07/2012 at 19:37
Had a little potter today as the sun was shining !!!! Lifted a large pot off an old tree stump and found the most biggest, fattest orange slug I have ever seen, YUK. Is it a plant or slug eater ? I have left it for now after reading that some eat slugs.
Very stange but when I lifted said pot I found a lovely fuschia growing in the tree stump. There was once a fuschia growing in the pot but it died. Never seen the like before.
14/07/2012 at 13:57

I have a high toad polulation in my garden and not too many slugs, I'm assuming the toads are looking after the slugs.

14/07/2012 at 14:04

Porridge oats even the cheap ones ( own brand small milled) are supposed to work and although this kills the slugs does not harm any other wildlife that then eats the slugs like hedgehogs and birds. I have bought the oats and am about to sprinkle them around as I would have done with my slug pellets. Have heard this works really well. We actually have a small area of blue (yes blue) sky showing at the moment so will get out there and get scattering this afternoon.

14/07/2012 at 14:32
I'll have to try the porridge oats, another stem of my tradescantia andersonii just been munched. thanks for the tip.
14/07/2012 at 16:38

I only recently read that slugs hate astrantias so much it can be worth planiing them near other plants to deter them.

They've never wowed me, but I may have to buy some just to try. I'm thinking a circle of them around my grown from seed geraniums! I daren't put them in the ground yet, so am growing them bigger in pots first.

14/07/2012 at 16:44
Don't you believe it, Lokelani, that's what they told me, so I bought the lovely dark red one - 2 days later gone! But then we have so many slugs and snails, that they have to eat what they can get.
17/07/2012 at 16:19

Slugs and Snails had been happily chomping there way through my runner bean plants until I put crushed egg shell around them and now the Beans are looking alot better.  Lots of new leaves and runners too.....I finally think I may have won the battle aas id tried pellets & putting vaserline on the poles.....YIPEEEEEE

17/07/2012 at 23:04

I read that caffeine kills slugs & snails so I tried watering my hostas with coffee, amazing results! lovely new leaves have grown & they look lovely. My garden is crawling with the slimey creatures & I want to water everything with coffee but am worried if this could harm frogs, fish & other helpful insects. Anyone got any ideas?

Lyn
17/07/2012 at 23:40

I use this http://www.unwins.co.uk/nemaslug-slug-killer-40m-pack*-pid2507.html?gclid=CM_XzPLiobECFWJItAodVFWZxQ

it is expensive but not if you get through tubs of pellets, it is harmless to humans and wildlife, It cost me £40.00 to cover my flower beds, but I do have a large garden, and when you tally up what you may have spent on plants or seeds, its well worth it.

I do feel however, that it wont last as long as it says on the packet, so it needs to be done every 6 - 8 weeks.( IMO).

18/07/2012 at 08:20

I went for a walk in our local woods the other day and noticed a distinct lack of munching ! What I would like to know is why don't they eat everything in sight  there ? Granted , there are a lot of birds but didn't see much S/S activity at all . Maybe they just like posh nosh !

18/07/2012 at 08:30

Jean its just like the rabbit thing you would think they had enough to eat in the countryside but ow no they aim for a garden for a bit of posh nosh..

I'm going to try the flour and water that's a real cheap and cheerful idea. I came across the biggest slug ever in my greenhouse the other day it made me feel quite sick killing it

18/07/2012 at 09:51

I'm going to have a go too anything 's worth a try - there was another in my hanging basket yesterday - talk about mission impossible !

19/07/2012 at 09:07

I went out last night for a slug walk and was impressed, the crusts of bread were covered in snails and there was  a gang of slugs in the pot of flour and water.

20/07/2012 at 21:41

I just wrote this on the other slug post.  Beer traps are amazing and fairly mess free.  Get Tesco's Value beer - 4 tins for £.  Replace the beer every two days and empty the resultant catch in the compost bin.  Job done!  20 or 30 slugs per night in each trap.

20/07/2012 at 22:06

Yes, beer in old food tins works - i have a number dotted around the garden, I empty them every 2 or 3 days and refill - full tins every time !!

20/07/2012 at 22:39

I use a sprinkle of salt on slugs & snails - kills them immediately although they kind of dissolve in a horrible sticky mess which I just wash and brush off. Not sure what the salt might do on on the lawn however.

The remaining slugs appear to be cannibals, either that or they've gathered for a wake!

21/07/2012 at 10:04

I have been using the salt method for years but read recently that this might not be the best thing for other wild life if they should get to eat the fizzing slugs and snails before they are desicated? Still the early morning salt patrol has been serving me well for many a year.

21/07/2012 at 12:51
Does anyone know the steeped garlic recipe? Something like steep a garlic bulb in a pint of boiling water till cold, use 1 teaspoon in a gallon of water. Told to me by a plantswoman selling plants at Arabella Lennox-Boyd's garden in the Tough of Bowland. You have to pour some over the plant . Haven't tried it yet, but she swears by it. The slugs ate the Solomon's Seal I bought fromc her ...
21/07/2012 at 12:54
Penninepetal wrote (see)
Does anyone know the steeped garlic recipe? Something like steep a garlic bulb in a pint of boiling water till cold, use 1 teaspoon in a gallon of water. Told to me by a plantswoman selling plants at Arabella Lennox-Boyd's garden in the Tough of Bowland. You have to pour some over the plant . Haven't tried it yet, but she swears by it. The slugs ate the Solomon's Seal I bought fromc her ...

Ppetal

4th answer on this discussion

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/lily-beetle/4763.html

21 to 40 of 44 messages