Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Slugs and snails

Is there ANYTHING slugs and snails won't eat?

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Weeds. image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

You have to put yourself in the mindset of a slug-there is a free meal on offer-you can have grass and weeds- chips if you like-or for just a bit more effort dine at the Ritz on our treasured plants-caviar and smoked salmon- which may be tastier.

They like posh dining

• Never seen so many in my life!

They have always been there it is just this constant damp weather means they make more of an appearance -in the dry March there were very few slugs or snails-if and when the sun beats down they will disappear again.

Slimey bsimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

I find the new ferrous phosphate pellets work very well near my most susceptible plants but don't use them in one corner where I know I have a resident hedgehog so that she doesn't go hungry. 

The thing to do is to get them early on in spring before the adluts can breed and as the eggs are hatching.  Sprinkle pellets on an easily memorable date such as Valentine's Day and then again every couple of weeks.  That should reduce them to manageable proportions.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thanks for that. I've actually tried the pellets and the gel. It just seem  to give them a 'hangover' and next morning they're as right as rain. Roll-on summer, Geoff.image

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Have despatched quite a few pairs of snails recently, which seem to be joined together in a rather odd way. My sister tried nematodes for the first time this year, and has been very impressed by the results.
  • diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

A piece in my local paper suggests sinking any plastic dish ie. marge pot for example into the soil, then adding 2 tablespoonsful of flour and filling it up with water. A great slug trap she says. I've done one today near my delphiniums. I'll let you know if it works.

That sounds like glue to me -perhaps they will have a sticky end................

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

I've discovered that crusts of seeded type wholemeal breads- especially soya & linseed- are slug magnets! On sunday 20+ were either stamped on, smaller ones, & the larger removed e/where. Poor birds never get a look in & saves me going out at night plus a torch.

I too have a visiting hedgehog, so am even reluctant to use the 'safer' pellets. J.