London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
3 messages
19/09/2012 at 21:33

My compost heap is full of slugs and snails and I feel I am spreading these and eggs across the garden when I use the compost.    Any comments as I am so reluctant to use the compost on my veg. garden

20/09/2012 at 07:02

Slugs and snails prefer rotting vegetation so having a compost heap attracts them all to one place and they help with the decomposition.  

According to this it is unlikely that you will be doing any harm by using your compost on your veg garden - after all generations of gardeners have been doing it, and as we know, gardeners are wise intelligent people who do not believe in making more work for themselves than necessary,

I will be using my compost on my veg patch - always have and always will - it's what I make it for - the flower beds have to manage without.  

And I do not use any slug pellets in my garden - hedgehogs, frogs and beer traps keep the little blighters in order - and grit spread around seedlings!

20/09/2012 at 16:26
And a night patrol with torch and saline solution.. Slug pellets and veg are not good bed fellows
email image
3 messages