London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
14 messages
11/04/2014 at 16:24

hi

last back end i invested in quite alot of lilies in order to add scent to my summer garden. now they are beginning to poke through, but im having trouble with hungry slugs.

i dont like using poisons as they harm other creatures and we have 2 small dogs which eat anything! im currently using 'slug gone' wool pellets but with mixed success.

i was wondering what the most effective product is for protecting my emerging lilies... thanks.

11/04/2014 at 17:13

HI you can try sharp sand mixed with sea salt, or broken snail shell,s.

11/04/2014 at 17:19

Have you actually seen slugs eating them? If not it could be lily beetle, they will eat leaves stems and flowers. They are a very distinctive red colour with a dark underside, about 1/4" to 1/2" long, and they fall to the floor belly side up when they think you're coming. They have no natural predators so you have to pick them off by hand after sneaking up on them, then squish them.

KEF
11/04/2014 at 17:21

I sound like a cracked record..anyone under 27 won't know what I mean but I use pistachio nut shells. Fun scoffing the nuts & slugs don't like the texture or salt from the shells.  

KEF
11/04/2014 at 17:25

If it is Lily beetle only one sure way, picking off works if you sit on guard 14/7 , I know you don't like chemicals but Provado ultimate bug killer is the only way & they still have a chew but at least you have some flowers.

11/04/2014 at 17:40

cant be beetles yet, the shoots are only just poking through, plus there slug trails...

wouldnt salt damage the plants?

11/04/2014 at 17:47

Put a dish down containing beer (bitter). The slugs love it and they drown happy.

11/04/2014 at 18:00

yeah i know but im not sure theyll prefer the beer to the lily shoots.

11/04/2014 at 21:59

I think they'd probably go to the beer first! I would haha!! Seriously though, try the beer option!!

11/04/2014 at 22:00

It's worth a shot at least!

11/04/2014 at 22:28

KEF.  Youve been at my whiskey again.  What's all this 27 business,  Then sitting and watching 14/7.  Naughty naughty.

Back to our friend.  So you have a love of lilies. Might I ask.  Are you a member of the RHS Lily group?  Now the problem.  I have been attacked.  Well actually some of my lilies have been.  Suddenly I find that a few of my stock have grown to around five or six inches.  Then suddenly chomp. I know it's not lily beetle.  However at this time of the year.  There are thousands of baby sails hatching out.  Also very tiny slugs.  Many gardeners religiously feed their plants. Sad to say in most cases such attendance is fateful.  However.  Regular sprayin against bugs, slugs and snails seems to go amiss.  When spraying, regardless of the spray.  Please don't forget the soil/compost.  Fair do's. Your plant suddenly is covered in greenfly or whatever.  You see slugs and snails here and there.  Having squeeged them off.  Dont forget to spray the compost as well.

Edd
11/04/2014 at 22:57

My worm compost is full of them Mike.  'Also very tiny slugs.' 

They have been there for years. i dry and sieve them but they still get in. (so do the seeds with worm compost) 

I sieve and then put them inside for to days to have a nice heat and then put them outside, still under clear plastic until germinated and then mix and do the same again.

Its in a long box and i would hate to sell worm compost with weeds in!!!!!

So what i am actually doing is growing weeds from the compost and when they germinate how them and hope i have got the last of the seed.

It works And my worm compost is free of seed and ready to use. It might take time and space but i know that i have a true product

Regards

Edd.

13/04/2014 at 11:06

ive used copper band, stuck to a cut off plastic bottle which is about 4" high.... no new munchings last night, but it was cold, plus i used a sprinkle of salt around the outside of the plastic ring , the ring is pushed into the earth so theres about 3" above the ground.

13/04/2014 at 20:15

I use crushed sea shells around the base of plants. The slugs don't like their bellies cut so stay away.

email image
14 messages