London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
9 messages
16/10/2012 at 19:41
Hi is any way getting rid of slugs and snails we out poison ! As only new to gardening and the net
16/10/2012 at 19:47

One of my favourite subjects~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basically you cant get rid of them but you can restrict them -find their hiding places- bits of wood, garden debris,under pots,dark places where they hide in the day-go out in the dark with a torch you will see them on the plants-pick them of and dispose- early this morning they were about.

If you anti. the blue pellets there are wild-life friendly ones available

You will never get slugs or snails out of your garden- but it is fun trying

16/10/2012 at 20:12
Thanks I from county durham and like say only new to garden as your hard core gardener I prob have more things ask as year goes on like when to cut back roses
16/10/2012 at 20:14

Roses-February

There are lots of helpful people on this site -ask away -someone usually knows the answer.

16/10/2012 at 20:23

What sort of roses? Climbers, ramblers, bush...?

17/10/2012 at 16:53
Climbers in arch over my gate one side look thicker than unether bottom bear top prune
17/10/2012 at 17:37

After a recent dinner party as my guests; a mother and her 14 year old son were leaving at 10.00 p.m., we noticed about 50 snails around the front door so we spent a pleasant 20 minutes 'snail hurling' into the field behind. I can recommend this as good vigorous excercise.

17/10/2012 at 17:57

You really do need to go out at night with a torch and have a look, you'll be staggered by the number of them around especially during warm wet periods. I tend to deal with them by using something sharp and planting a patch of some cheap plants, that I know they like, to tempt them to a certain area (50p trays of unloved Marigolds from B&Q were this years choice). Snails get a slightly more under foot treatment.

You can also use beer traps and there's a thread on here about a flour trap somewhere. All the methods mentioned work, you just need to pick one and stick with it when there are plenty of them about.

18/10/2012 at 10:05

We have used broken eggs shells with great success,dry them first,break them in to smallish peices,and place around affected plants,more shell the better,if you know someone who works in a cafe or restaurant, ask them to save the shells for you...good luck....

email image
9 messages