London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
4 messages
17/10/2012 at 13:45
Jist a story !
Fifteen years ago,  my mother, Mamie Murphy, aged 70 at the time, owned and ran The Charleston Hotel, Aboyne, Royal Deeside. The front gardens always took a lot of looking after and she found it was always plagued by slugs. She was advised to place a few soup plates, filled with lager around the garden. Success! Every morning the plates were full of slugs with one hell of a hangover ! She later sold the hotel and moved back into her other home in Bucksburn, Aberdeen. I would visit every weekend, and would usually be given a beer or two from some of the stock she had saved from the hotel. She told me that she was having a slug problem in her garden again, and had tried the lager solution, but, it didn't seem to be working. When I asked her to show me what she was putting out in the garden, it turned out to be, Alcohol Free Lager ! And she had a garage full of it ! With a small purchase of a couple of cans of Tennents, the solution worked again! Every visit from then on, the slugs got the Tennents and I got the Kalibar ! It works ! The slugs just lie around, drunk all day, and I am teetotal !
Mike Murphy.
17/10/2012 at 13:49

My friend used beer to catch the slugs she then tipped them out on the path and the seagulls came along and ate them, result drunk seagulls.

17/10/2012 at 16:49

Milk works the same, the slugs crawl in as they are attracted to the sweetness and are drowned. Cheaper than alcohol!

18/10/2012 at 09:55

As I say try broken egg shells,really works...dry them break them up & place around the plant(s) affected...tried the lager traps,but made me retch,and I have got a very strong stomach.....  I have got a pond now,and adopted some forg spawn,this also seems to be working,although we have got really big slugs,possibly the Spanish ones everbody is talking about,approx 3-4 inches long black and green,so the frogs only appear to go for the babies which is great....Strange really,as we lived in Spain for 6 years,& never once saw a single slug anywhere... ....

email image
4 messages