Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

slugs

I have used new cat litter to keep slugs and snails off my plants and it works well but I don't know if its ok to use around vegetable plants such as runner beans can you advise

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Hi Sara,

I don't know about the veg, but that is a hell of a good idea. I imagine they won't like it because it's absorbent. I've got bags of cat litter in the house so I'll have a try.

I had been using poultry grit...image

Cheers

imageimage

Wearside, England.

The stuff I've got says it is made of lime and quartz sand but it might be worth a shot around test areas.

Phillippa do you mean like horse bedding bales? I was wondering if it might blow away. Also the cat litter disintegrates back into a sand when wet with its limey contents which I didn't think of before.

What kind of cat litter do you have Sara? Do you know what it's made of? That might help with your veg question...

Wearside, England.
  • flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

Give them a pint of beer that will sort them out image

Cheers, I might buy a small bale and put it around my remaining cabbagesimage

Wearside, England.
  • LilydotwinLilydotwin Posts: 30

I heard on our local radio station's gardening programme that slugs and snails hate garlic. Put a smear of garlic paste on the rims of pots and they won't touch the contents. For plants in open ground, water frequently with "Slug Soup" - made by boiling one whole bulb of garlic in two pints of water for 20 minutes, straining off the resulting soup, and adding about two tablespoons of it to a gallon of water in your watering can. Water the leaves of the plants with this and the little horrors avoid them. I don't know from my own experience yet if this works, but I trust the gardening gurus who advocated it. It's worth a try. And, it's cheap!

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

How often is 'frequently'? Every day or every few days? Sounds a good idea.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • its true about the garlic yes. Garlic is a natural pesticide and can also be used to treat aphid infestations by infusing it into water (steep crushed cloves in hot water). Spray the solution (now cold) on areas of infestation.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

true about garlic it does work to a decree  as do beer traps,dog biscuits  and many more things including birds and frogs but you will never ever get rid of slugs and snails and keeping them at bay is hard work . image

• Cleo13Cleo13 Posts: 106

I must try out the cat litter tip, didn't know that could helpimage

• ReikijoReikijo Posts: 22

What happens if you have cats in the garden? We have some ( don't know who owns them but that's cats for you!) and they use the wood chippings on a path as a toilet! I think that I would go for the garlic. I have used nemetodes that were very successful for a couple of years; however you have to choose the weather I.e. no heavy rain and they can only be stored for a short while as they are living creatures.