London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
13 messages
10/05/2013 at 11:19

how can i get rid of slugs some are so small you can bearly see them,,

10/05/2013 at 11:25

Slug killer-blue pellets,wildlife friendly pellets, nematodes,go out at night and capture them,salt on them-loads of solutions-depends on what you want to use

10/05/2013 at 11:59

Try sharp gravel around the base of plants, or scatter crushed eggshells,  as both deter snails from sliding over them.

10/05/2013 at 13:16

If anyone could answer that one positively they could spend the rest of their life sitting on a money mountain - the long and the short of it is that you can't, you can reduce them and learn to use things they don't like, and then learn to live with the remainder.

I have found that grit, egg shells etc. do not help at all here, nor do most of the barrier methods, and believe me I have tried them all.  I gow around 65 hostas in pots, so you can imagine the battles we have.  The only 2 things I have found useful are copper collars on the pots, they will not cross those, and the iron based  slug pellets which do no harm to other wild life - I would not use the other ones.   I hear that beer traps work well, btu cold notbring mysef to empty them!!  

Nematodes do work very well indeed, but are expensive, very hard work to apply, last a short time only and once your slugs have gone, as nature abhores a vaccuum all the neighbours slugs move in later on!!  Encourage lots of things that eat slugs, especially the huge horrible ones, as they do your plants no harm at all, although they look revolting, but they live on the small slugs which do damage your plants to death.  Lots of birds of course, and if you are lucky, a hedgehog or two. 

10/05/2013 at 15:42

I tried nematodes last year - following the instructions to the letter - and found they did zilch! However, shortly after the second application, I discovered we'd got a population explosion of Leopard slugs and so was really relieved that I hadn't been successful in wiping them out. I do worry that, in the understandable race to keep slug damage down, people are indiscriminately kiiling our Leopards. An adult is several inches long and, has a darkish grey background with distinct random spots all over (Google for pics) - AND EATS OTHER SLUGS!! They are our friends! If you have them, they'll probably have a regular 'patch' - one of my colonies lives near my back door and can be found trundling across my doorstep on damp nights. I never thought I'd say this but give slugs a chance - some are actually quite useful and interesting.

10/05/2013 at 16:35

I mix crushed egg shells with coffee grounds,had goodsuccess with my hostas following this method.

10/05/2013 at 17:06

I think ours are addicted to coffee!! I know lots of people have success with that, but whichever type we have here, they just ignore it and munch of happily.

10/05/2013 at 20:11

I thought just likeBookertoo, If I knew how to successfully keep slugs at bay then I'd be rich

10/05/2013 at 20:44

Regular use of the strongest pellets you can find is the only "sure-fire" method...well nearly

10/05/2013 at 22:10

Egg shells - only thing I've found works, especially with small tender plants. 

10/05/2013 at 22:37

Location, location, location. That's what its all about isn't it? I mean, slugs and snails inside the compost bins is productive but around the back of the shed is anti productive when they huddling into barnacle colonies to overwinter.

I have gotten to know which areas of my garden attract the biggest colonies and which plants are troubled the most. Ererumus, Kniphofia, Phormiums, Acanthus Mollis and Ivies need constant attention underneath or at the base of their leaves.  I hand-picked fifty snails the other day while cleaning out all the old leaves from just one Kniphofia clump, stamping on them and leaving them for the birds I hope. You wouldn't catch me hand picking the slugs though, all that gunk is disgusting. Those I find mostly under pots and guillotine them with my secateurs for a quick death.

There are other trouble spots as well, under some Alpine Phlox for instance, through which a clematis would grow given half a chance.

I try to keep on top of these areas and always use sharp grit around any susceptible plants, using the pellets sparingly but out of necessity to catch those little black slugs that seem to live under the soil surface but do a lot of damage at night.

10/05/2013 at 23:33

I keep a few ducks and over the winter I let them loose in my vegetable patch from Nov to early March I never have a problem for the rest of the year,Thank God.Might not be practical for everybody but if at all possible it is worth it.

11/05/2013 at 15:38

I'd absolutly love to hav ducks, but our bylaws don't permit, not even chickens!!  In fact I guess I might not have a great deal of garden left if we did have them, but theya re so lovely!!

I cannot bring myself to cut slugs in half, I know people do, but nothing would perssuade me they didn't suffer dreadfully - I don't like them but couldn't do that, nor as Winterson says, could I pick them up - have done ot once or twice by accident - oh yuck!!

email image
13 messages