London (change)
Today 27°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
1 to 20 of 31 messages
03/06/2013 at 18:06

I know they are out there, but I'm blowed if I can find any. 

Can anyone help? About 5 years ago I purchased some bird friendly slug pelletts. They weren't great but they did work with regular dosing. The best thing was they don't hurt birds or pets should the slugs /snails are eaten.

ive been to homebase and other stores but have no luck. Any ideas?

24/06/2013 at 17:12

Sorry, can't help with the slug pellets but this year I have had success in the slug war with rings made from adhesive copper tape obtainable in garden centres and designed to wrap around the rims of pots.  However if you cut off  lengths and form them into  rings  (May be cut in half too) and pop them around the stems of your most vulnerable plants they do seem to keep the slugs away.

24/06/2013 at 18:53

Yeah, for some reason Asda only had the metaldehyde this year so I had to buy online.  Googling 'organic slug pellets' will find them.

25/03/2014 at 10:11

I'm thinking of using beer traps, but I read somewhere on the Blog that someone had had success with using something other than beer . I cannot remember what it was. It had kitchen ingredients I think. If anyone knows please let me know!

25/03/2014 at 12:45
Edd
25/03/2014 at 13:19

Hello Jessdines.

Here is a link to Wilko slug bait 590g £4.50. it is recommended by which.

Here is the review.

"Excellent product, wouldn't be without it. Has the great advantage of being organically sound - not harmful to children, pets, hedgehogs, birds, etc.; but still gets gobbled up by slugs and snails, who crawl away to die neatly out of sight. I'd keep them away from your pet clam, but aside from that, no down side!"

http://www.wilko.com/insecticides+pest-control/wilko-slug-bait-590g/invt/0331176?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Edd
25/03/2014 at 13:28

Hi Carol1951.

Was it yeast? The link is below. There is also a little video at the end.

Put a lump of brewer's yeast or sprinkle powdered yeast into a jar of warm water and sugar. The jar must be deep enough to keep the slugs and snails from crawling out. You can also buy containers (traps) designed specifically for this purpose at garden supply stores. A suggested mixture is two cups of warm water, a packet of dry yeast, and one teaspoonful each of salt and sugar  The salt will help ensure that the slugs and snails die before they have a chance to escape. If you're going to dump the slugs and/or mixture in your garden or compost pile, skip the salt; it'll make your soil too salty.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wikihow.com%2FGet-Rid-of-Slugs-and-Snails-With-Yeast&ei=RoQxU73uOKH00gX8wYHoBw&usg=AFQjCNFjp0fF1R2tiCV4HQPlUvNUc4v17g

25/03/2014 at 14:24

Nematodes work a treat to keep slugs away from my plants.

Not cheap, but they do work for about 3 months after one application.

Liking the sound of these organic pellets!

25/03/2014 at 15:39

I've been liberally scattering broken egg shells around my flower and veg beds. This with coffee grounds seemed to work last year. My main problem now is rogue cats digging everything up to hide their little presents!!!!!

KEF
25/03/2014 at 16:11

I've put horticultural grit around my chomped tulips. I put pistachio nut shells around hostas, providing grit with some salt, slugs don't like those, plus I have an excuse to be greedy.

26/03/2014 at 13:17

Pistachio nut shells sounds like a plan KEF. Going to have to try that one 

26/03/2014 at 13:33

https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/6-nemaslug-slug-killer

I dont have any experience of this but m going to get some  and see how it goes

26/03/2014 at 14:21

Hi Edd,

That could be it! I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks very much!

28/03/2014 at 18:22

Kef, might give the pistachio shells a try, any excuse to have a munch of those 

28/03/2014 at 18:35

I treated myself to some mussels the other week and thought, "these shells are just like eggshells".  So I stuck them in the fire for a bit to burn off the residual mussel bits and have crumbled them coarsely along with my eggshells.  They're going round the baby lettuces next week......

04/04/2014 at 07:40

just though t i'd mention tesco has 4 packs of bitter or lager for £1 tha't cheapest i've found to drown the disgusting things!!

04/04/2014 at 11:36

I only have one hosta but I've never had any problems with slugs, I make sure I have a balanced garden attracting wildlife. They eat the slugs and I enjoy the wildlife. Nematodes sound good if you can't do balance though.

04/04/2014 at 11:40

That sounds like an excellent organic garden, Jim

I think the 'organic' pellets' active ingredient is ferric phosphate, which doesn't sound very organic to me.

04/04/2014 at 12:19

I have been using Organic child & pet safe slug busting granules which seem to work, but the only downside is when it gets wet it swells to an unsightly sticky mess! Still, better than ruined plants and flowers I suppose.

04/04/2014 at 17:46

i do my best to encourage birds and we'd love a hedgehog! what do you mean by balanced jim, how to acheive?

1 to 20 of 31 messages