London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
6 messages
31/03/2012 at 19:59

I have discovered in my compost in pots in greenhouse, a very small, bright green ball which has a white milky centre when squashed.  Today I discovered it in the bag of compost which I have used to repot my fuchias which incidentally are not doing well after being invaded by vine weevil.  Does anyone know what this is?

02/04/2012 at 20:13

Hi Pink Wellies, I read your posting with interest as I have never seen anything like this until today!! I opened up a new bag of peat free compost from homebase and found one of these strange 'things' in there, I was surprised to see it, as you say it was bright green and when I squashes it,  it spat out a white liguid. The upshot is that I cannot help you with what it is, but I have been gardening for many years and never seen anything like this, but what I do know is that it came with the bought compost from the shop so at least I can tell you that it is not something that you have been generating yourself in your greenhouse. I am going to dig around my books to see what it is, but it did look more lake plant material rather than some sort of bug!! If I find out more I will write again!! Best Wishes urszula

03/04/2012 at 11:21

Thanks Urszula.  I have got a feeling that I also bought my compost from Homebase.  I buy quite a bit from there and it is very possible that it came with mine also.  I may make an enquiry with them next time I am there to see if there has been any other comments to them.  After the vine weevil disaster with my beloved fuchias, I am relieved to find out that it is not something that I am generating myself.  Keep in touch if you discover further info.

Thanks Pink Wellies

03/04/2012 at 12:40

Hello Pink Wellies,

Slow release fertiliser sometimes comes as greenish balls. Some composts contain this kind of fertiliser. The packet would have wording on it to say that plant food was included in the mix. Vine weevil eggs are cream/white, gradually turning brown.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

03/04/2012 at 16:05

Hi Pink Wellies, I agree with Emma Crawforth. Although I have yet to come across a fresh bag of potting compost with added slow release fertiliser beads, I have often found them in the soil of potted plants bought at garden centres etc. I used to think that they were slugs' eggs!  Then I came across the packets of slow release fertiliser as loose beads (or as pellets made from beads bonded together) which I now routinely add to my potted garden plants. Good brands are claimed to feed the plants for up to 6 months. Usually the individual beads are yellowish in colour, with the occasional one being darker or even bright green. On squashing old, used beads, they do indeed release a white milky liquid.

Andzik

03/04/2012 at 18:01

Thank you to all.  Huge relief.

Pink Wellies

email image
6 messages