Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Small urban garden......

I have a smallish, bare garden with lots of fence and overlooked. Am trying to create a screen in one corner to block out some of the houses and  fence. One company suggested some Pleached Trees but could some non pleached evergreen trees work .... Do they encroach into the garden too much ? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Evergreen trees are going to eat up your space much more than pleached trees - can you post some photos and dimensions so we can get a better idea of what you've got image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I have the same problem here beccrow and intend putting some Amelanchier lamarckii(snowy mespilus) in some of the areas as they can be grown as a small tree or a shrub, and have a light canopy. Pleached trees are beautiful but could give you a lot of work to maintain. As Verdun and Dove say - if you can post some dimensions and/or pix it will help with suggestions image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • TootsietimTootsietim Posts: 178

Too dense a planting with evergreen trees often has the effect of closing in a garden and making it appear smaller as well as darker.

My suggestion would be a small screen of silver birch trees which give dappled shade, provide a level of privacy in the summer when the garden is most likely to be used and attract a wide range of wildlife. Being only semi solid, you can look through them which gives a sense of space.

• BeccrowBeccrow Posts: 3

In fairness, this photo appears to make my garden look bigger. I have standard sized fence panels so you can  gauge an idea of size. Its south ish facing and even the panels don't cause too much shade in the height of Summer.

•  How about a small pergola and something growing over it, such as honeysuckly and a large climbing rose? If you have trees, you will have large root systems which could undermine your wall and will take a lot of moisture and nutrition from the soil.

• KirstyB2KirstyB2 Posts: 47

I've tried fruit trees against a fence.  Pears, fan trained against an east-ish facing fence worked well in the last garden.  In the current, south facing garden I'm trying a step-over apple aginst a 3 foot metal post and rail type fence.  Productive and pretty - with a bit of pruning interest thrown in.

May 2010

May 2011