Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Snake Mark Maple

A couple of years ago cracks appeared in the trunk of my 20 year old Acer Rufinerve (Snake Bark Maple). Recently have noticed cracks and holes in the thick upper branches. Can anyone tell me what causes this and if there is anything I can do about it.

• Hi pansyface, will try and get a photo to you in the next couple of days. Have old camera and new computer so must figure out how to connect the two together

• I've seen this on snake bark maple trees as well, unfortunately caused so much die back the trees had to come down. Turned out to be this -

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=255

• Thanks Bamboogie for the info, not good news, was afraid there was no cure for it. It is a beautiful tree however the roots are causing havoc with the lawn, so maybe it is best that it has to go.

• file:///Users/ahmadshayesteh/Desktop/image.jpg

pansyface, above is the link to the photo of my snake bark maple.

• file:///Users/ahmadshayesteh/Desktop/image.jpg

pansyface, here is the photo of my snake bark maple.

pansyface, attached is the photo of my Snake Bark Maple.

pansyface, here is the photo of the trunk.

• could be animal damage?

squirrels have a habit of nibbling holes in bark in spring to get to the sweet sap, the damage you see could be the tree repairing itself, but best talk to tree surgeon as they know their stuff!

• Thank you all for your advice, the general consensus of opinion is that the tree must be taken down. I don't have much faith in tree surgeons so will do it myself. 

• Hello again, my family are not happy about cutting down the Snack Bark Maple. They say it is doing no harm were it is on the edge of the lawn and to leave it until nature takes it's course. Is there anything I can say to convince them it must come down or can I leave it until it becomes unsightly?