London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
16/02/2013 at 17:22

I have a big problem with my clay soil.

I have spent the past 5 years trying to improve the soil but to date  still no joy.

Can anyone give me good advise on how to improve my soil.

16/02/2013 at 17:27
16/02/2013 at 17:29

Unless you have laods of money to pay for man power, grit and organic material to break up the soil and improve its texture, you're going to have to be patient.   You can go round with a large tined fork poking it into the soil as deeply as you can, wiggling it back and ofrth and then pour sharp sand down the holes to improve drainage and aeration.    Annual mulching in autumnw ith a few inches of well rotted garden comost and/or manure will also help.  The worms will work it in over winter and, in time, you'll end up with lovely soil.

There's another thread about clay soil and teratment advice here - http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/problem-clay-soil/2061.html

16/02/2013 at 17:32

You really need lots and lots of compost, manure, grit and sharp sand.

17/02/2013 at 08:47

How is your soil used? A book i have recommends growing things in it to break it up. I know that can be easier said than done with clay soil, but having dug in plenty of organic material last autumn I'll be filling in all the gaps in my border with annuals this year. On the plus side clay soil is supposed to be very fertile, and there are some plants that like it.

We're also cheating and putting in a raised bed for veggies.

01/04/2014 at 15:42

Hi, I have read that clay soil is actually the most nutrient rich but you need to add sharp sand, gypsum and mulch to break it down. Does anyone have the correct ratio of these? Also, how much would  need of each for a garden of 90 square metres? 

01/04/2014 at 16:47

I have heavy clay soil so use loads of horse manure and leaf mulch and do it every year. Hard work, but it helps

Edd
01/04/2014 at 17:12

I do not think there is a correct ratio as such as it depends on the plant you want to grow.

Soil (compost) for nutrients and minerals.

Silt opens up the clay/soil to allow drainage and aeration and also provides vital nitrogen. 
clay holds the moisture in the mix. Climate and crop type play a huge part in determining the ideal ratio , but the theoretical formula of 3 parts soil , 2 parts silt and 1 parts clay 3:2:1 may not be the answer you need as this is based on outdoor wheat/maize production at least you have the reasoning which i hope helps. 
also if you search for " sandy loam " on your computer i'm sure you will get all the info you need. 
sandy loam is the agricultural term for the ideal soil ratio.

RHS.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=what%20nutrients%20are%20in%20clay%20soil&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fapps.rhs.org.uk%2Fadvicesearch%2Fprofile.aspx%3Fpid%3D179&ei=ROU6U-72K8i00QXRkoHgDg&usg=AFQjCNHs0WnyXmVgxyq7nnGyj9k9KDKsaw

Regards

Edd.

email image
8 messages