Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Some Squash is Turning Soft

Hello Again everyone,I have many buds & flowers on my Squash plants (in Greenhouse), but  I have had to remove a couple of soft, mouldy  bulbs from my plants, that occurred after the flowers had died off, and the acorn type pod had started to form. I already have at least two that have started to form, and are still firm. Any advice would be most welcome.

PS: Have tried to include pics, but I can't get beyond the 'insert an image or video icon'.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Could be the soft ones have not been fertilized.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Agree. Unfertilised - or not completely fertilised - fruit will wither and die.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I polinate  the plants myself . It is easy , wait until you have a male and female flower (at first you tend to get an abundance of male flowers but dont worry , femals will come) . The females have a lump behind the petals

Take a male flower , peal the petals down and insert it into the female . If you have a number of plants it shouldnt be a problem amongst them there are sure to have quite a selection  to mix and match ! hope this helps.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

You have FLOWERS?

Perhaps I should put my squash back in the greenhouse :- (

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

This morning I decided to pot up these  6 butternut squash plants and try them in the greenhouse , I shall polinate  3 seperate  plants .I have put them along side the Melons &  cucumbers, so I could have a new salad item , -: Butternut squash/ cucumber / melon.! 

• Bob177Bob177 Posts: 43
    lucky3 wrote (see)

I polinate  the plants myself . It is easy , wait until you have a male and female flower (at first you tend to get an abundance of male flowers but dont worry , femals will come) . The females have a lump behind the petals

Take a male flower , peal the petals down and insert it into the female . If you have a number of plants it shouldnt be a problem amongst them there are sure to have quite a selection  to mix and match ! hope this helps.

I have 3 plants, and about 3 flowers have formed into acorn type shape. I currently have 3 in flower, but I am not quite sure where to look, with regards to the lump. There is no sign of any lump on the petal itself, only tentacles. The base of the petals all look the same. I have lost another 2 today, although there still appears to be plenty of buds.