London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
41 to 60 of 71 messages
27/06/2013 at 23:25

Rodgy I feel really sad reading this thread - and also angry. This country seems to be getting taken over by inconsiderate lowlife scum- and that's the polite phrase. I feel the same- I want to move again having just moved here because of a certain 'ned' element. Why should we be driven out though. I have friends in the police and won't hesitate to call them now after reading these posts. I'm putting a hedge along my new fence and intend bringing home as much horse s**t from work the minute  I've finished it to get the ground prepared. I'm hoping it's a hot summer and the smell drives them away! 

Your garden's beautiful and you have every right to enjoy it as much as possible and for as long as you can.

27/06/2013 at 23:58

When I lived in a council flat as a teenager, my bedroom adjoined the next-door bedroom, and I suffered with the sounds of their music, or even worse, them bumping uglies.  One day after they'd finished, a couple of my mates were round, and after listening open-mouthed to the 'oh, yes!' and 'give it to me big boy' (I kid you not!), we gave them a round of appause, cheering, whistling etc.  They were never quite as noisy again!  The other thing they did was listen to pop music all of the time, I had a couple of classical CD's so used to turn those on full blast when it got a bit too much.

Do you have a lurverly singing voice?  I used to be able to empty the pub I worked in at closing time, with the first two minutes of 'bohemian rhapsody'.  An unusual talent, but one that came in handy.  Maybe you could try learning Welsh, or Urdu, outside, with one of those tape things?  I know that would annoy me, if my neighbours did that.  Or if you're going to be really evil, wait until their extension is finished, and push fish heads through the air vents (the stink will drive them mad, and they'll never figure out where it's coming from.  Failing that, have you got a small boy in the family who has a burning ambtion to learn the trombone?  If you think a small child and a recorder is a bad combination, you ain't heard anything till you team a 7 year old boy with a trombone.

Could you get one of those garden mirrors and angle it so the evening sun would be reflected onto their patio area?  Water features are a good idea, as are windchimes.

As for a name, I tend to use 'biffa' a lot.  Looks like the back of a garbage truck with all the desirability of one.

Don't get mad, get evil!

28/06/2013 at 07:06

Thank you all once again for all your kind words of wit and wisdom . I've got up this morning with quite a positive attitude towards said neighbour. Today will be an afternoon spent putting a strategy together. My comphrey steeping box with lid was broken when we where building last year, so I'm off to buy another it will be placed near to the fence so if she sits shouting her gob off I'll just open the lid! I'm a gardener I can handle the stench! Its sad to read all your own personal stories of neighbours behaving badley, also refreshing that their are genuine nice people out there too.

Osakazuki wrote (see)

Mummy Muddy Paws wrote (see)

When I lived in a council flat as a teenager, my bedroom adjoined the next-door bedroom, and I suffered with the sounds of their music, or even worse, them bumping uglies.  One day after they'd finished, a couple of my mates were round, and after listening open-mouthed to the 'oh, yes!' and 'give it to me big boy' (I kid you not!), we gave them a round of appause, cheering, whistling etc.  They were never quite as noisy again!  The other thing they did was listen to pop music all of the time, I had a couple of classical CD's so used to turn those on full blast when it got a bit too much.

Do you have a lurverly singing voice?  I used to be able to empty the pub I worked in at closing time, with the first two minutes of 'bohemian rhapsody'.  An unusual talent, but one that came in handy.  Maybe you could try learning Welsh, or Urdu, outside, with one of those tape things?  I know that would annoy me, if my neighbours did that.  Or if you're going to be really evil, wait until their extension is finished, and push fish heads through the air vents (the stink will drive them mad, and they'll never figure out where it's coming from.  Failing that, have you got a small boy in the family who has a burning ambtion to learn the trombone?  If you think a small child and a recorder is a bad combination, you ain't heard anything till you team a 7 year old boy with a trombone.

Could you get one of those garden mirrors and angle it so the evening sun would be reflected onto their patio area?  Water features are a good idea, as are windchimes.

As for a name, I tend to use 'biffa' a lot.  Looks like the back of a garbage truck with all the desirability of one.

Don't get mad, get evil!

Ha haa that was class giving the round of applause...

Yes I have the most impressive Les Dawson impression as he did it with a piano, I can worble my vocal cords like you've never heard especially to REM's 'Shiny Happy People'.

Believe this if you will, I have just brought downstairs last weekend my Bongo's. My boys bought them for me one christmas with the intent of getting me to learn a percussion instrument...I'm still in the learning stage! LOL.

Oh I'm all for blocking out her sunshine after an incident a few years ago. she has a massive leylandi in the garden behind her which takes away a lot of their late afternoon sunshine, one year she got a "Tree Surgeon" yes in inverted commas! to top it, she did ask permission to cut off a few over hanging branches off my really old mountain ash! I said it was ok. I came home from work to discover she'd had about a third lopped off my tree I was furious, It had so spoilt its shape, it was a gorgeous specimen.

28/06/2013 at 07:13

Luckily a neighbour had spotted the "tree Surgeon" and new he wasn't much cop! I got him back to ask why he's been over onto my property and cut out one of the main bows? he preseeded to explain how she'd told him ,"anything over hanging my garden cut it off". She avoided me for weeks.

Well this morning I think her builders are going to feel her wrath. She was kicking off last night again,  looks like they've made a cock up with her drive! her husband was out last night with a tape measure measuring the curb stones against the wall the builders have just began building. Oh well what goes around comes around, Karma and all that!

28/06/2013 at 07:19

A joke is a joke, but can I just say that, having experienced really bad neighbour problems in the past, for your own sake please try not to let this build and build.

This thread started out being about a neighbour with a loud voice - it's grown into what has the appearance of a vengeful diatribe against the woman next door, with accounts of her personal problems and  times when something she's done has upset you, and it appears as if you're ready to up the ante. 

If she really is so unreasonable and it's blighting your life then move - we did.  But remember that nowadays you have to declare problems with neighbours when completing the enquiries from your buyer's solicitors.  A peaceable atmosphere will add to the value of your home.  

Good luck 

28/06/2013 at 08:57

Am glad that you went with the water feature as it does work. After reading the above perhaps your neighbour will buy one and then you will just have the sound of running water to relax and not some loud neighbour! Good luck!

28/06/2013 at 12:19

DFAb, Please don't think that I'm out for revenge, I'm not the sort. If I where to try and give back what is forced upon our selves, would only mean I'd be lowering myself to her level, which I would never do I'm a bigger, better person than that.

Your right this thread was all about looking for a resolution to a problem, which I now think my husband and myself are in agreement with. I may have gone off on a tangent at times Only to give a bigger picture of whats she's like. Your right - you's didn't really need to know all this, I supose I've just been venting off its been rather a stressful 8 months. Having said this some have shared similar experiences and some have made me chuckle making my situation a bit less troublesome.

I think this is the end of this thread so thanks everyone for your suggestions. Although I will post a pic of newly installed water feature when we get around to creating it!    

28/06/2013 at 15:19

Good luck RD - hope it works for you. The water feature you posted is lovely and will look really good in your beautiful garden.

You don't need all the extra stress that comes with upping the anti and a few gentle measures as sugested at the start of this thread might work. 

I do like the comfrey mix idea though... are you going away for a couple of weeks so you could brew it for maximum impact while you're not there to suffer?

All you need is for her to move her table and chairs a few yards away from the fence

28/06/2013 at 15:24
http://media.tuinieren.nl/m/m1myxw0q7u4r.jpg

They use this in Holland as a sound  barrier, its made from coconut fibre.

http://media.tuinieren.nl/m/m1myxoqqsn2p.jpg

28/06/2013 at 15:28

Now that looks interesting Jungle Jim does it have a name? I didn't even know you could get soundproof fencing! thats another great idea Thanks JJ

Thanks Topbird I am indeed going on holiday at the end of July!

28/06/2013 at 16:55

Why not let your neighbour know you're going to buy an all singing all dancing top of the range water feature. She'll beat you to it and will have bought one and have it installed before you can get to the aquatic centre and it won't cost you a bean! 

28/06/2013 at 17:25
Rodgy-dodge wrote (see)

Now that looks interesting Jungle Jim does it have a name? I didn't even know you could get soundproof fencing! thats another great idea Thanks JJ

Thanks Topbird I am indeed going on holiday at the end of July!

Hi RD, i'm not sure what it's called, by the way the mirror water feature is very nice but i think it is also very quiet.

28/06/2013 at 17:56

Have you thought about playing "whitenoise" against the fence? it is supposed to block noise by absorbing the sound.

28/06/2013 at 18:15

Try looking up Jacksons soundproof fencing, and Buffalo acoustic fencing.

This type of fencing is used near us to deflect noise from the M1.

28/06/2013 at 18:41

love your garden Rodgy dodge, it 'looks' so peaceful!

Can you get a sound / decibel recorder, involve environmental health / police?

29/06/2013 at 06:16

I don't suppose there's any chance that you could get the neighbour interested in this forum?

29/06/2013 at 06:55

Have followed this thread with interest and found the following which may be of interest:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardenprojects/6005689/Keep-those-noisy-neighbours-at-bay.html

29/06/2013 at 10:23

Thanks for this SS I've saved in my favourites to show Mr RD when he comes home from work, we where also talking of installing a fence of this sort. everything they mention in the article rings true for us. We used to be away every weekend until we where forced to give up our bolt hole in the lake district. I might even print it off and post it through their door!

29/06/2013 at 14:56

"I might even print it off and post it through their door!"

29/06/2013 at 18:28

RodgyD, Have only seen this thread for the first time today. I had this problem in West London with neighbours. I kept a very precise diary for a month, then got in touch with the local council's 'noise dept' they came at 2 am one morning when I complained about the noise and then sent a rather stiff letter to the chap and the problem was pretty much solved. I am not sure if all councils have this facility; if not, get in touch with your local Citizen's Advice Bureau. Especially emphasize the nuisance at night, when your neighbour is having an argument. You have the right to; sleep, tranquillity and to stay in your current home. Good luck with it.

41 to 60 of 71 messages