London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
14 messages
11/06/2014 at 23:06

Parsnips were sown on the allotment several weeks ago, I made a hole filled it with compost then planted two seeds in each station. It's difficult now, to know if they've germinated because of all the tiny weeds growing in the compost.

Was thinking of digging the area over and trying again but this time putting a jam jar over the seeds so at least the spot where they were planted is marked or is it too late to sow parsnips....  

The difficulty is parsnip seedlings look like annual weed seedlings...

12/06/2014 at 08:17

When I sowed mine Zoomer I actually let all the seedlings grow, just in the area where I had sown the parsnips - except of course for obvious weeds like chickweed and the dreaded Marestail - when I knew for certain which ones were the parsnips I then weeded the rest, the parsnips were in rows so it was fairly easy to tell.  I did the same with the Beetroot and carrot too which were on the same patch.

I was wondering whether to try some more parsnips and carrots though, I don't think it's too late and not many of mine germinated so was going to sow more between the existing rows (there is just enough room). We will just get later veg that's all but the way things are growing now they may even catch up.  Also, I think I was early sowing mine anyway which is possibly why they didn't germinate very well.

KEF
12/06/2014 at 08:24

I would say it's too late for parsnips, ideally sown in March and April. They can take up to a month to germinate.

Carrots will be okay sown now, mine are Chantenay so won't grow large, only seedlings at the minute.  

12/06/2014 at 08:26

I'll leave the parsnips then and just put some carrots in, thanks KEF 

12/06/2014 at 16:35

Think I'll also leave the parsnips a while longer, I've nothing big enough ready to go out yet. They were dated so will check when sown.

12/06/2014 at 21:19

I resowed parsnips earlier this week. It's not too late, you'll just have to harvest them smaller or a lot later.

KEF
12/06/2014 at 21:29

Can't argue Dave only grown a few times but only time I had decent ones was when they were sown late March. Did taste good

12/06/2014 at 22:45

I suppose if I want mine for Christmas it will be ok? I might try anyway I have some spare seed so nothing to lose really. 

13/06/2014 at 06:57
Parsnip seed doesn't store well so it may be worth having a go anyway depending on how old your seed already is?
13/06/2014 at 07:56
Has anyone tried Monty Dons tip of sewing raddish along the parsnips? Id love to know if this works in the "real world"
16/06/2014 at 22:44

No I didn't Rebecca because I'd already sown the parsnips, but I don't see why it wouldn't work and will be trying it next year 

16/06/2014 at 23:46

Forgive me, but I sometimes wonder just where some of these ideas come from.  Believe me.  No offence intended.  Just from my aspect.  Most of my horticultural experience was gained, by watching and learning.  On the plot. Dad and i would have dug over the ground. Decided where what was to be sown. Out came the line and markers.  A quick gentle rake over.  A few drills, [furrows. according to the fab, Monty]  Then a sprinkling of seed, direct into the ground. Gentle bak of rake application.  Job done.  This would be around March.  In time growth would appear.  When large enought to grab hold of.  We would thin out the seedlings, the leave them to grow on.  In the case of parsnips.  We would never eventhink about harvesting until a good frost had hit the land.

16/06/2014 at 23:55
Thats the way i learned to do paranips too, but its nice to know if other ways work, im all for making life easier wherever possible
17/06/2014 at 08:34

It's also a good way of making use of the space between rows when not needed as the radishes are harvested well before the parsnips need that growing space.  A good idea when space is premium 

Hi Mike by the way, hope you're ok x

email image
14 messages