Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Spathyphyllum

My plant survives, indeed  I expect it to flourish after repotting it. However, it suffers unsightly brown tips to the leaves. I trim with sharp scissors and only water half a cup per month. Any ideas please on cause, prevention and cure. Thanks in anticipation.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I think you're right to be careful about over-watering during  the winter, but would give it quite a lot more during warmer months, and  mist it regularly (with tepid water) throughout the year.  Keep it warm and in as good light as you can without direct sunlight and avoid draughts.  I give the ones in our office a dose of Baby Bio in their water once a week from spring through to autumn, and they perform well. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Brown leaf tips often indicates lack of humidity, plus possibly of water. It does depend on whereabouts you have it though, as too much water wont help especially cold water straight from the tap at this time of the yr.

Is it too close to a radiator/heat source/sunny sill? I try to group plants together to create a mini humid area for them. If that isnt possible, & you suspect it needs more humidity, then misting &/or standing the pot on pebbles/gravel should help. J.

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

If your peace lily is in a warm place , I think it would probally need a little more water than half a cup a month but It depends on the pot size .as too little water can also lead to brown tips on the leaves.

Mine is in a fairly warm room and I always water mine as I do the african violets by standing the pot in a bowl of water. I use rainwater and do as Dove says - add feed to the water in Spring onwards.. Mine is in a 10inch pot and at the moment I am watering it every 2 weeks or so. I also mist spray during the summer months but wait until the plant is dry before putting it back in the light. image

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Just popping back. Forgot to mention that the water shouldn't be freezing cold but Jo has . I keep bottles of rainwater indoors for the plants.

I expect melted snow would be just as good.image

• Colin7Colin7 Posts: 39

Well, thankyou all so much for your help. Strangely it is my decoration in my shower room. However, I am inclined to think I perhaps underwater. Thankyou for the feed info Dove. I wonder how you realised I forgot to include that question,