London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
12 messages
17/01/2014 at 22:53

Hi Everyone,

I live in the West Midlands and have recently taken on the role of finding speakers for our local gardening club. We are around the South Staffs, West Midlands, N Worcestershire borders. Can anyone out there recommend speakers from this area? (No personal details, just the name and subject should do it).

Thanks,

Carly

17/01/2014 at 23:04

The RHS have a list of speakers, it's on the website.

So do the Hardy Plant Society.

You can also look on the websites of other gardening groups and see who they have as speakers. 

Or  nursery owners, lots of very knowledgeable people there.

If you go to plant fairs, speak to the stallholders. Many can do a good talk on their specialty

09/06/2014 at 20:48

Thanks Nutcutlet, you've given me some good pointers there.

CC

09/06/2014 at 21:12

Carrie Thomas of Touchwood does talks http://www.touchwoodplants.co.uk/Talks.htm 

09/06/2014 at 21:54

Thanks Dovefromabove.

I looked at her site and would be very interested. I think Swansea may be too far away (we're in South Staffs) but I will contact her to check.

Thanks again,

CC

10/06/2014 at 09:08
I suggest you contact the local RHS base at Pershore College they will probably be able to recommends lots of speakers. Lots of (horticulture and garden design ) tutors at the college also do talks
10/06/2014 at 09:11

The RHS speakers list is on their website 

10/06/2014 at 09:35

Thanks everyone. I should be up to speed for the next five years soon

I've been in touch with Carrie Thomas

http://www.touchwoodplants.co.uk/Talks.htm  

It's a long way for her to come for one meeting. We meet on the last Thursday of each month. Carrie suggests there if there is another club in the West Midlands/South Staffs/ Worcestershire area that meets on the last Wed or Friday we might be in business. Is there anyone out there???

10/06/2014 at 09:35

It might be worth you contacting the local Alpine Garden Society group too. My partners grandparents are members and both give speeches but regularly go to talks. They might be able to suggest a few Speakers for you.

www.alpinegardensociety.net

10/06/2014 at 09:38

This is a case of you go to them, but maybe a bus trip?.

http://www.ashwoodnurseries.com/events/wildlife-garden/

10/06/2014 at 21:28

I think that most garden centers and nurseries, will be only too pleased to offer their services.  Of course a small fee is usually requested, plus some agreed leeway with a wee bit of advertising.

Another point to keep in mind.  A real techno speaker will in many cases be talking to the air.  IMHO it is up to the secretary of talk organiser, to assess the general level of the audience's gardening knowledge etc.  I actually overheard a member's comment once.  Leaving a meeting and talk to a geranium and fuchsia group.  'Well Tom.  He was a good talker, but it was way over my head'

10/06/2014 at 22:00

Well said Mike. Our group are as most a mixed bag. Some very knowledgeable, others complete beginners and most somewhere in the middle. We've had some very entertaining speakers who manage to appeal to all - a hard act to follow every time.

Onward and upward.

email image
12 messages