London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
8 messages
21/07/2014 at 23:44

I have a very tall specimen Leylandii in the corner of my country garden. It has provided a nest site and shelter to a pair of wood pigeons for several years, but two of the topmost limbs blew down in the wind of last winter. I am now worried that more may come down next winter. Is it possible to "top" the tree which may prevent this, or will this kill the tree? I would rather not cut it down completey in case I lose my pigeons!!

21/07/2014 at 23:46

We chopped 3 metres off the top of one of ours because we could no longer enjoy the sunsets. No problem. Well one. It has grown back but with extra side shoots so now it needs doing again, only more so.

22/07/2014 at 00:08

Thanx Pansy face. That's about how much I'd need to lop. Does it look ugly?

22/07/2014 at 00:11

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder when it comes to Leylandii, don't you think?

It did it no favours but it doesn't look a great deal uglier than it did before.

22/07/2014 at 08:25

If you've only got two wood pigeons, you're doing well. They breed like rats around here and are a flaming nuisance.

22/07/2014 at 16:47

I'd be getting rid of the Leyllandi AND the wood pigeons!

22/07/2014 at 17:45

Well, the leylandii is a good deal less ugly than what is behind it; a broken down old heap of rusting rubbish. And it provides the birds with nest sites. And it has  conveniently shaped branches on which to hang feeders that the various birds of prey can't attack.

The wood pigeons are a nuisance, but I used to say that about starlings and I haven't seen a starling for over ten years. So I treasure everything, however much it may irritate me, because, in the words of the song, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

22/07/2014 at 18:13

My leylandii has pigeons nesting in it as well. And I get its head chopped off every couple of years as it starts to interfere with the telephone line.

email image
8 messages