London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
21 to 23 of 23 messages
11/06/2013 at 11:29

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25244.jpg?width=250&height=350&mode=max

Dove this is were i live, in the middle of nowhere and i have never seen a hedgehog any were near

11/06/2013 at 13:43

Don't know where you get your ideas from PTlandscapers, but basic biology- Nothing is stored in the colon for long, it goes down the loo. Food in the top, Poo out the bottom.  The liver detoxifies anything it can. Some pesticides are stored in fat deposits. This has been found on analysis of whales blubber. Unless the pesticide is absorbed into the blood stream, it just goes the same way as anything else non absorbable, like bits of plastic or non soluble fibre.

11/06/2013 at 14:33

I don't use pesticides at all, it's a personal choice we made when we started growing our own fruit and veg. I can put up with pests such as green/white fly and slugs and snails, what would the likes of ladybirds, hover flies, lacewings and song thrushes have to feed on? If they start getting out of balance (and for greenfly and white fly so far this year that is the case) a thumb and finger is all that's needed. Not many ladybirds about at the moment in our local area but the balance will soon return.

My box hedging was covered in a lot white fly, and I mean a lot, but after going over it with the hosepipe on a fast spray it seems to have eliminated them....for the time being anyway!

email image
21 to 23 of 23 messages