Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Starting a flower or gardening business online

Hi guys I would like to know if there are florists and botanists out there thinking of starting a florist/ flower shop or  maybe a gardening shop online.

If so, what are the challenges you face starting out.

would an online marketplace be best for you?

I am interested in knowing the outcomes thanks.

• Thanks for replying Pansy, just because interflora and co are gaints in the game does not mean that they cannot be given a run for their money. if the thousands of small time florists come together in an online marketplace selling different types of and unique plants, that would give the big boys a good run for their money in my opinion.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Isn't that just what Interflora do?  They don't own the flower shops - individual floristry businesses provide flowers advertised and co-ordinated by the Interflora brand.

Are you planning some sort of flower delivery business?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I suspect that James may be thinking of reinventing the wheel image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Yes indeed guys. that's  exactly what I had in mind. I am also interested in other plants as well not just flowers but everything to do with gardening. not just flowers but I would love it to be community driven. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good to hear that Hollie

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I think you would be wise to listen to Hollie.

grow some things that people like, at the seasons they want them and use your local farmers markets.

they are doing exactly what you have in mind but direct instead of online. 

Thats very competitive for a beginner so start of small and see how you get on first.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

James, there's been a big marketing push this year promoting British Grown cut flowers - you may find this interesting http://www.flowersfromthefarm.co.uk/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wow! Holly, have you got a website by any chance?. you seem very enterprising.

@Jo my question to you would be scenario based. For example If you where charged £16.99 in the first instance instead of sneakily adding £10.99 as the packaging fee. Would you your disappointment be less?

@Phillipa, If there is a marketplace online where you would have just upload your pictures, state your prices and not worry about the packaging, would getting back in the florist business be something you would consider? 

Thanks guys