London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
41 to 51 of 51 messages
18/03/2013 at 12:19

Good news, my Dahlia tubers have sprouted. Not bad, I put them in on the 1st March

18/03/2013 at 17:02

Well done discodave. Mine only went in compost at the weekend so they've a way to go yet, one was already sprouting though.

18/03/2013 at 17:51

Thanks, 

I have planted a couple of Dahlia seeds aswell but some made it and some didnt, I am going to try to plant a few more this week.. 

18/03/2013 at 18:22

To my surprise Monty Don said on last Friday's GW to throw shrivelled dahlia tubers away!? Can't understand why he said that, because my tubers overwinter in the cellar in a box all by themselves (no compost or newspaper, etc.) and are shrivelled every Spring. In April/beg. May I soak them in a bucket of water for a day and then plant as usual. Haven't had a failure yet, they always come up beautifully.

18/03/2013 at 18:49

My friend and I think he talks a load of nonsence at times. I too have had the odd shrivelled tuber and like you once soaked for a few hrs have been perfectly ok. On many occasions  hes said a plant isnt hardy and here where the temps go down to -20 they survive perfectly ok. We think its time for a change!

18/03/2013 at 20:37

Will tubers grow without a good soaking, mine didn't get one.

discodave. Wait a few more weeks before sowing unless you have a nice sunny/warm room to grow the seedlings on in till hardening off time. 

This time last year I had loads of seedlings romping away but we did have a warm March/April. Pretty much everything I've sown this year is growing really slowly, me thinks, because of the cold weather and lack of light. 

18/03/2013 at 21:03

Only soak if they are shriveled otherwise just pot up level to where the stalks start. Mine are about 5 inches tall now and I only started them 3 weeks ago. Ive been trying to download a pic for 3 days now but to no avail.

27/03/2013 at 11:03

I'm a dahlia virgin just bought some tubers of various varieties and they are still in their packaging. I in the snow bound area of south yorkshire and temps have not been above -3 for over a week what should I be doing with my new purchases at the moment, any help appreciated to keep my interest going.

27/03/2013 at 11:26
davidrholdsworth wrote (see)

I'm a dahlia virgin just bought some tubers of various varieties and they are still in their packaging. I in the snow bound area of south yorkshire and temps have not been above -3 for over a week what should I be doing with my new purchases at the moment, any help appreciated to keep my interest going.

Plant them in shallow trays or pots now-keep them somewhere warm-this will stimulate growth

27/03/2013 at 11:50

thats helpfull SwissSue

27/03/2013 at 12:03

thanks sotongeoff first time I've used the forum and will definately use it again to boost my gardening knowledge when I have a problem/query.

email image
41 to 51 of 51 messages