Start a new thread

41 to 51 of 51 replies

discodave

Good news, my Dahlia tubers have sprouted. Not bad, I put them in on the 1st March

Well done discodave. Mine only went in compost at the weekend so they've a way to go yet, one was already sprouting though.

discodave

Thanks, 

I have planted a couple of Dahlia seeds aswell but some made it and some didnt, I am going to try to plant a few more this week.. 

SwissSue

To my surprise Monty Don said on last Friday's GW to throw shrivelled dahlia tubers away!? Can't understand why he said that, because my tubers overwinter in the cellar in a box all by themselves (no compost or newspaper, etc.) and are shrivelled every Spring. In April/beg. May I soak them in a bucket of water for a day and then plant as usual. Haven't had a failure yet, they always come up beautifully.

galest

My friend and I think he talks a load of nonsence at times. I too have had the odd shrivelled tuber and like you once soaked for a few hrs have been perfectly ok. On many occasions  hes said a plant isnt hardy and here where the temps go down to -20 they survive perfectly ok. We think its time for a change!

Advertisement

Will tubers grow without a good soaking, mine didn't get one.

discodave. Wait a few more weeks before sowing unless you have a nice sunny/warm room to grow the seedlings on in till hardening off time. 

This time last year I had loads of seedlings romping away but we did have a warm March/April. Pretty much everything I've sown this year is growing really slowly, me thinks, because of the cold weather and lack of light. 

galest

Only soak if they are shriveled otherwise just pot up level to where the stalks start. Mine are about 5 inches tall now and I only started them 3 weeks ago. Ive been trying to download a pic for 3 days now but to no avail.

I'm a dahlia virgin just bought some tubers of various varieties and they are still in their packaging. I in the snow bound area of south yorkshire and temps have not been above -3 for over a week what should I be doing with my new purchases at the moment, any help appreciated to keep my interest going.

sotongeoff
davidrholdsworth wrote (see)

I'm a dahlia virgin just bought some tubers of various varieties and they are still in their packaging. I in the snow bound area of south yorkshire and temps have not been above -3 for over a week what should I be doing with my new purchases at the moment, any help appreciated to keep my interest going.

Plant them in shallow trays or pots now-keep them somewhere warm-this will stimulate growth

thanks sotongeoff first time I've used the forum and will definately use it again to boost my gardening knowledge when I have a problem/query.