London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
12 messages
05/03/2014 at 23:01

Hi all

I have recently removed a large tree from the corner of the front garden. There is a perimeter hedge that surround the tree. On the neighbours side and on the top the growth is completely green but where the tree has been it's bare but with only some stems with leaves.

Does anybody have any tips to stimulate growth (using liquid seaweed spray) or should I just wait and see what happens.

Kind regards

05/03/2014 at 23:17

I'd give it a good haircut, it will stimulate new growth

06/03/2014 at 07:42

Yes, cut it back - growth follows the knife = old gardening saying 

06/03/2014 at 09:03

Yep, cut it back as much as you dare, the more the better, otherwise you'll be waiting years for it to green up. If your neighbour won't allow that you'll just have to do what you can on your side, you can try cutting nicks out of the trunk or remove a semi circle of bark on your side. That should spur it into bud low down below the cut.

Edd
06/03/2014 at 10:24

Is there a technical term that i can look up please Jim. I am very intrigued.

Thanks

Edd 

18/03/2014 at 17:47

I never thought about it I don't think so. There's all kinds of little professional tricks you can do. Notching is the most brutal but very effective. It is half way to laying the hedge. 

18/03/2014 at 17:54

About 15 months ago, some new people moved in around the corner. There was a very large straggly privet. The new people cut it back to about 3' high and quite thin in depth. It is now magnificent. Privets love hard haircuts, but they may also like a bit of general plant food and WATER; I always feel that hedges, by their very shape, deprive themselves of water.

18/03/2014 at 18:34

Yes, I was saying that about a conifer I have. I had to water my daffs and foxgloves on Sunday as they were wilting. The conifers roots go out a long way though. The neighbours must have cursed the lady that used to live here planting them all around the edge of the garden. 

One one side of my garden there was no fence just the privet hedge which wasn't that great considering the conifers that were there. I was loathed to cut them back because I didn't want to lose the privacy but the one that had grown into a tree got a good chop. That ones is now magnificent while the others are still recovering. I think had I given them all the chop them I'd have a much better hedge now. You live and learn though.

18/03/2014 at 18:38

Jim, are you saying that the conifers survived being ruthlessly chopped back?

19/03/2014 at 10:08
artjak wrote (see)

Jim, are you saying that the conifers survived being ruthlessly chopped back?

???? Are you talking to me?

19/03/2014 at 11:28

Yes Jim

19/03/2014 at 14:15

Oh, then no, I was talking about a privet hedge and conifers I cut down revealing a tatty privet.

email image
12 messages