London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
21 to 40 of 63 messages
15/03/2014 at 17:50
So let me get this straight. You don't want your cats to crap in your own garden but aren't prepared to even consider the thought of putting some effort into TRYING to train your cat to do its business in a litter tray outside. Since you can train them to use a human toilet and surely an adult cat doesn't get struck dumb incapable of learning one would assume it a perfect win win situation.

So where do you, as an intelligent owner expect them to go? You're happy making it someone elses problem so long as you get what) in a quick low effort on your part you want) am I correct?

Is anyone else surprised that no one is offering you much help when we all struggle with the after math in our own gardens and so unsurprisingly don't want to encourage pet owners to forget that they should take SOME responsibility to the toxic waste their pets produce?

You CHOOSE to have a cat, its not a wild creature damaging your garden, its your own pet who will not doubt be most confused if you start shooting it eith a water pistol in what it once thought of as its nice safe territory and using chemicals that offend its nose or make its eyes sting so it no longer feels safe near the garden and maybe even leaves the home altogether in favour of a mad old lady three streets away who puts food out every night. Remember that, especially to a rescue animal who may have had its trust damaged already, what we put down in the garden is there to scare the cat off, make it uncomfortable and want to leave. Is that what you want to be doing to your cat?

Just as an aside, there are people out there who when a cat messes in their garden think nothing or putting down anti freeze to kill the animal. Yes its an disgusting act but worth considering when encouraging your cats to go elsewhere. I hope for your pets sake your neighbourhood is full old nice old ladies and less garden proud grumps.
15/03/2014 at 18:20
If you want to go cat owner bashing with your stupid comments by all means. I never said I was not concerned about other people's gardens. If I found a solution that would deter without harm I would gladly pass it on. I do have a littertray for their use and take fulll responsibility for them. But if you know cats at all. You can not physically stop them going somewhere they not like dogs you know.
Let me reiterate for you. I completely understand the frustration felt by pple who have this issue especially when they dont own cats. But there are organic methods of control that can be used and im just trying to find it.im not getting much support in fact because everyone thats replied evidently are NOT cat owners. Judging by some of the suggestions definitely not.
So please only reply if you have some decent advice on gardening tips and natural deterents.
15/03/2014 at 18:23

Clarington...........I was trying to be polite but I think you hit the nail on the head.......everyone has the right to keep a pet but along with that right goes a responsibility............to keep your pet from from roaming, from upsetting your neighbours and from destroying wildlife. 

Cats are a case in point.......either domestic pets ,treated as such and  regulated or non domestic and controlled  Tho not by poisoning I should add..

15/03/2014 at 18:44

Hi filmbuffy, I don't have cats at the moment but have done for most of my gardening life. I've had partial success by putting a number of pea sticks and attaching thread between them in specific areas where I've just planted seeds or bulbs. You need to make sure that they have the litter tray or an alternative part of the garden to use instead, especially if you do have a lot of neighbouring gardens nearby.

I'm lucky because I live in the country. I only have one neighbour and the only comment I've had from them is that one of my cats was particularly useful at keeping the rabbits away! I have had far more damage to crops from rabbits and mice since not having any cats though.

As you've discovered there are some very strong opinions about cats on this forum!

15/03/2014 at 18:51
filmbuffy wrote (see)
.... But there are organic methods of control that can be used and im just trying to find it.....

Please, if or when you find organic methods that really work do let us know - as I've said, over the years many members of this forum have tried many many methods, from lion dung to various plants reputed to have a deterrent effect - nothing has been found to be very effective as far as I am aware. 

15/03/2014 at 18:54
Hi singing gardener. Thank you. Can I use bamboo instead. Im assuming its designed so they dont have access to a large clear area in which to go and then kick up the earth in?
And yes I think I have gathered that.as a gardener and cat lover I also have strong opinions and hopes that the two can go side by side with some harmony. Theres always a solution. Its just a matter of finding it.
15/03/2014 at 18:59
Dove. If I do I most definitely will be happy to share.

I should think bamboo would be fine - probably better as you can push it in more firmly so that cats are less likely to push it over.

Filmbuffy, though you may be right that the majority of people who have replied, me included ,have'nt given you any proven control methods, it does'nt make our comments stupid.

As Philippa has stated it is the owners responsibility to control their animals, this includes all domestic animals. If you are frustrated by the actions of YOUR cat, imagine us non cat owners who continually have to clean up someone elses mess!

I love dogs but choose not to have one as there is no one in during the day to look after it, if I took the average cat owners approach I could just kick it out each morning to create mayhem. Does that sound right?

15/03/2014 at 19:05

Filmbuffy...........not a cat owner but if you are talking about a relatively small space, prickly sticks may work for a while to keep cats off a specific area where you have seedlings..........beyond that, I've not come across a solution. I suppose any sticks would do but they would have to placed very close together. 

15/03/2014 at 19:15
You make a lot of assumptions Little Buffy.
Shame you think it a hineous trait in others.

(Makes me embarrassed to admit having owned cats less I get tagged under the same group of people).
15/03/2014 at 19:44

RSPB estimate that domestic cats are responsible for the deaths of 70- 80 million garden birds every year.

15/03/2014 at 19:54

Fish. Budgies. Guinea pigs. Hamsters etc = no problems in the garden and no stress from other people.

Think about it. Or removing your cat flap!

15/03/2014 at 20:34

Filmbuffy - I managed to stop cats pooping in a trough and digging up bulbs by covering it with mesh which is pinned under the trough. I have also had some success with placing sticks every few inches and at different angles in any bare patches whilst waiting for things grow up. I also just started leaving used teabags soaked in citronella oil around their favourite areas, this seems to have helped. Also make sure you wash the area they are using with washing liquid to remove the scent of them, or they will go straight back.

Hope this helps, obviously they will then move somewhere else, but it hopefully it will be the litter tray you have provided. Good luck

15/03/2014 at 20:35

flimbuffy I have heard from others on here, that teabags soaked in Jeys fluid seems to be effective, whilst technically not organic,it does seem persuade them to go elsewhere. I'm thinking that a little bit of Jeys fluid goes along way and if it's in a tea bag, the chemical doesn't really go far into the ground and then you can remove it when need be. Tea tree oil might do the same thing?

I think the idea of having some sort of litter tray outdoors is a good idea, cats are creatures of habit and would probably use it if it was changed often enough.

Keeping cats indoors as a norm I would totally disagree with and could be cruel,it would totally depend on the cat. I had a indoor cat a couple of years ago, I was frightened of letting her out because of the road. One day she must have seen something out of the window and she went mental. She ended up attacking me and I just don't mean a scratch, it was very scary. Being inside all the time turned her head, in the end I had to hand her over to the vets. Having said that I've had other indoor cats who were perfectly happy.

I have to say comparing cats to fish, guinea pigs and hamsters etc is no comparison at all. I don't think it's acceptable to keep budgies in a small cage. Any animal we choose to keep should have a lot of space and be looked after.

Whilst I recognise that cats are predators, my two have bells, are in at night and do a fine job of catching rats, mice and the odd mole I love them.

I have to say Clarington, that whilst I do understand the problem, it's a shame that you have come across as advocating the use of antifreeze

Very long post from me,  I'm off to talk about gardening

15/03/2014 at 20:42

I don't think clarington suggested, in any way , shape or form, using antifreeze. He / she merely pointed out that the level of frustration regarding the problem makes SOME people resort to such levels.

15/03/2014 at 20:54

FilmBuffy, oh my goodness I really feel for you, I've been away from this site for a while and can see why! I have always had cats, and several neighourhood cats pay us a visit nightly. Mine uses his trays for his poo but isn't adverse to taking a pee in the garden he stays in at night because he gets beaten up by one particular tom, big brute! maybe the RSPCA needs to take a look at this site If you talk to vets/RSPCA and say you have a house cat you will find you get a lot of disapproval, cats roam, it's their nature  I have to say I'm saddened by this thread and peoples nastiness..reading through these comments and to my husband, well I won't put what he thinks  Anyway, I've found chicken wire  laid across freshly dug beds works very well until the plants are a few inches tall, or if possible can you place holly leaves around the plants on loose earth? Won't look very pretty and unfortunately will give the slimy slugs a hiding place (my arch enemy) squished quite a few today) I found grapefruit worked well too, as well as catching slugs overnight, seems to work better than orange/lemon peel I hope you have success and if not, a good supply like me of gloves) happy gardening

15/03/2014 at 21:14

Well said, Happy Slug Hunter, I totally agree with you.

15/03/2014 at 21:18

Not sure where you think the nastiness is! Its just that cat owners should be responsible for their pets, no one from what I have read, has advocated any cruelty to cats or thrown abuse at the owners.

Just because you want to let your cat roam does'nt mean you should. Within 24hrs of constucting a new raised bed there was a nice present from a cat(and I do the the difference from foxes etc). Lots of the allotment holders have dogs, guess what no dog mess in 5 yrs because their owners clean up after them.

I dont subscribe to the "its in their nature to roam argument", that is their owners cop out for letting it do what it wants.

21 to 40 of 63 messages