London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
15 messages
29/04/2012 at 18:41

I got my first greenhouse last year and my daughter bought me seeds for all the veg she likes. I've planted 'Webbs Wonderful' lettuce and 'Scarlet Globe' radish in pots (both from suttons seeds), and virtually all of them have developed strange looking growths on the stems. Many of the radishes have developed two bulbs as well, and the lettuce are stringy. I've shown a couple of friends who have been growing veg for years and they've never seen it before. I bought good quality compost from a local garden centre as I tried supermarket stuff and it was poor quality.

I've tried to put some pictures on but the system will not accept my files for some reason, so help with that as well would be gratefully received.

29/04/2012 at 18:53

You are going to have to describe the strange stems in more detail-a photo would make a lot of difference -what exactly is the problem with uploading one?

Colour, shape of strange growths??

29/04/2012 at 19:15

The system says my pictures (jpegs) are too large, then when I compress them it says incorrect file type. Ive tried about a dozen times, it just will not let me upload them.

The growths are yellow blobs on the lettuce but more grey on the radish

29/04/2012 at 19:19

Ive just checked the 'Help' topics and it states our site will resize your pictures for you. Quite clearly this isn't working.

29/04/2012 at 19:27

You could try using photobucket and posting the link

29/04/2012 at 20:03
29/04/2012 at 20:06

That is odd on two different veg-I have no idea-someone will.

29/04/2012 at 20:13

One question -having looked again-brand of compost?

29/04/2012 at 20:20
That looks very odd indeed. Did you add anything to the compost? What are you growing them in as containers? Have you fed them with anything?
29/04/2012 at 20:26

J. Arthur Bowers Traditional potting compost (Professional grade). I'm growing the lettuces in plant pots and the radish in a a window box type trough usually used for flowers. I've added a bit of Growmore but nothing else.

29/04/2012 at 20:29

Why did you add growmore at the sowing stage?

29/04/2012 at 22:20

Added growmore at the thinning out stage. The lettuces were sown in a propagator that came as a kit complete with compost etc. The radish were sown in a tray then thinned out.

29/04/2012 at 22:46

Discard and sterilize all equipment, ideally with jeyes fluid and start again, but without the growmore - not needed at that stage of development. Also, a propagator is not need, a sunny windowsill will do fine. Lettuce, I start off in cells/pots in a bag - removing bag when germination is successful. Radish, in-situ under cloches at this time of year, a couple of seeds every couple of weeks until summer.

I have never seen anything like it before.

30/04/2012 at 14:03

I have been thinking about this-it may be case of over feeding-there is plenty of food in the compost to keep the plants going for 6 weeks- and you are using a potting compost which is rich anyway with added growmore-far too much for seedlings.

It seems to have thrown up some odd growths-this is just my theory-not to be taken as fact

30/04/2012 at 19:35

Thanks for your help everyone, Suttons have E mailed me, they are going to have a look at the pictures to see if they can identify the problem. Overfeeding may be the reason, I'm a novice at growing veg (except tomatoes and beans) so maybe I was too kind!

email image
15 messages